Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Informal Observation Today

I was informally observed today by my department chair, Peter. I think it went well. I wasn't able to talk to him after school today because he had a meeting and I had to leave to go to my part-time job.

He observed my A2 class - which is a team taught class with a SPED teacher in the room with me.

The class went smooth. I'll talk to Peter tomorrow and let everyone know how it went.

This wasn't a formal observation. I'm supposed to get two formals a year - one for each semester. The department chair always does one of the observations and an administrator does the other observation. This year, I have my principal, Jim, doing my formal for second semester. Peter will do my formal for this semester.

This is a big year because it is my third year. I will get what they call professional status after this school year. Massachusetts did away with tenure for teachers back in 1993 (Ed Reform of 1993). This piece of legislation also mandated that new teachers get their Masters degree in order to teach (within a five year time period) and pass the Teacher's Test. Veteran teachers were grandfathered into the clause. And, certification for life was taken away from the veteran teachers so know they have to get recertified every five years like the rest of us.

Gotta love those politicians who make decisions for us they have no clue what we work/deal with on a daily basis.

Good thing I adore my job and my students! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im sure you WOW'd them : )