Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What does NHS look like from the sky?



About a month ago, I went flying at Lawrence Airport with one of the visiting German teachers, Armin. He received his American pilot's license a few years ago and really wanted to get some flight time in while he was visiting the United States. Armin has been flying small planes for over 15 years. I'm a pretty daring individual so I said that I would go up with him. Sarah Ledbeater, a colleague of mine that was hosting Armin, also went up in the plane. An avid photographer, Sarah took some great shots with her camera as well from the air. Claudia, the German teacher that was staying with me, opted to stay on the ground and just watch. :-)

We flew over Newburyport (Plum Island) and Amesbury. The bottom picture is an ariel view of my high school. You'll notice the football stadium at the bottom of the picture - there was a freshman football game going on that day. The top photo is a shot of Plum Island. If you look to the left of the photo, you will notice the Merrimack River dumping into the Atlantic Ocean. The day was perfect for flying - not bumpy at all. Sunny. Clear skies. Gorgeous! And, Armin had a perfect take-off and landing.

Being up in the air brought back memories of when my Dad used to fly and I would go up with him. I guess I was his co-pilot. :-) It's such an amazing experience being up in the air and feeling like you don't have a care in the world. So freeing! Exhilarating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures lori! you must have had a nice time.. although i think i would have stayed on the ground too! LOL