Thursday, November 17, 2005

Students Taking a Survey

I'm in homeroom right now. The students are taking this Risk Assessment Survey about drugs, alcohol, and sexual behaviors. I'm almost afraid of some of the responses they are writing down. The school community I work in is quite affluent. However, that doesn't mean that kids don't do drugs or alcohol here. They do. We've been told that our school does have a problem with drugs. Every high school in the US has a problem with alcohol.

The kids were making jokes about the survey as they were responding. I had to intercede and explain to them to take this survey seriously.

I know they are kids - and, kids just behave like crazy kids. But, just answer the questions! They don't put their names on it so it's anonymous. Be truthful about it.

It really scares me that these kids are so sexual active at such a young age. I don't think they get it. I'm not being a hypocrite. I didn't have sex until I was in college. All my friends were sexually active in high school - I felt that I wasn't emotionally ready to handle all that responsibility at such an early age. Even having sex in college (I was a junior in college by the way) was a huge issue. I was educated by my parents on the topic of sex. I was not educated by my friends. I saw so many of my high school friends get pregnant at a young age.

OK, maybe all of these statements should go under the random thoughts entry. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just see Ants taking that survey.. He'd laugh & joke & put down silly things too, otu of embarrassment or just to be funny. Hopefully they answered it truthfully & took it seriously, even if they didnt let on to it.

It is scary that kids are having sex & doing all these things at such young ages. They dont realize the consquences that can occur from some of their actions.