Sunday, November 27, 2005

Am I asking for too much?

Another vent session:

A few weeks ago, I thought I would try the Internet dating thing. I heard some good stuff about EHarmony so I figured, what the hell! I'll try it. It took me three hours to fill out the online questionnaire. At the end, I clicked on the final box to submit my answers to EHarmony. What was the response? This! "I'm sorry! But you fall under the 20% of the population that is considered incompatible!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! I mean, in some ways, it is funny - but in other ways, it's sad.

So, I figured, what the hell again! I'll try another online dating thing - Match.com. I just checked my account and I've had 21 views. 21! No emails of interest though -

So, my lovely low self esteem starts to work in overdrive! What is wrong with me?? OK, I'm not gorgeous! I'm not thin. But, I think I have other things going for me???? I'm not asking for much. Just a nice guy to hang out with - dinner and a movie. Go into Boston. Check out some concerts. Apparently, even this is asking for too much.

I really don't know how to met anyone. I'm not into the bar scene anymore. Not exactly a healthy environment for me for personal reasons. I figured that I would try this Internet thing again.

I've asked my friends and colleagues if they know of a nice guy. They all tell me the same thing - they don't know anyone. I'm starting to think they are just telling me this so they won't hurt my feelings.

I haven't been on a date in over five years!!!! Yes, you read it correctly! Five Years!!!!!!!! I'm going to be 35 in Feb. I'm being to realize that maybe it's just meant for me to be alone. Maybe I'm just meant to not be in a relationship. Not have children. It's a sad place to be - alone. I know I have family and friends that love and care about me. So, what is wrong with me?

Thanks blogging world for listening to me vent about my lack of a love life -

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would really like to talk to the people on the commercials for those dating websites... Everyone I know that has tried them has had the same experience that you have. Believe me, you are not alone.

I really think bars and internet dating both suck... your best bet is to step back and just let things happen naturally... We always meet the best quality people when we least expect it.

Don't let your age scare you either... I have a cousin that met a guy at 37 and is now happily married with two great kids...

Anonymous said...

lori sweety - please... you are beautiful & such an awesome person - you HAVE to see that.

i really believe we are all more attractive to others when we have that positive energy around us. i've noticed that people are even nicer to me when im in a fun happy mood at the grocery store versus being a big grump.

not that you're a grump! im just saying - yes you miss a man companion - but go out, smile, be happy with life and yourself & you will glow with positive energy. do this for yourself first - for you - for your heart & soul & then everything else will flow into place after.

you should listen to your friend & go for a reading. im due for one - we could go together!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori! I really believe that your true love is still out there and it will find you when you least expect it! But after 5 years I understand your frustrations but don't let them get the best of you. You are the most sweetest, most sensitive, caring person I know and that will get you the guy of your dreams. I'm sure the the big guy upstairs hasn't forgotten about you. Keep your spirits up girl! Besides, right now you get to do a lot of traveling, etc. Enjoy it still while you can cuz kids will take that away asap! By the way, mine can't wait to see ya! (hopefully this time they'll be good!)

Robyn J said...

I wish I could wave a magic wand. I have a couple of friends who are single also, women, and their stories are all very similar...it sucks. You DO have a ton to offer and you are a beautiful woman.

Robyn