Saturday, November 12, 2005

In a funk

I've been in this funk lately that is really tough to get out of for some reason. Professionally, I like where I am and where I am going. Personally, it is a different story. I realize that my life revolves around my job. Not a good thing. This year, my goal is to work on having a more personal life. With a few exceptions, I'm not staying late every single night after school like I have in the past. I know that I need to get a life outside of school. It's so tough. Most of my friends now are married or in serious relationships. Trying to meet new people is difficult.

For the dating scene, a few years ago, I tried Match.com to try Internet dating. Not into the bar scene - not a healthy environment. I had a few dates. Nothing too spectacular. Recently, I tried EHarmony because I heard of few success stories from some of my former colleagues at Timberlane that tried it and had great luck with it. So, I spend three hours answering the questionnaire. The questions pertained to every topic: finances, relationships (past and present - men, friends, family, etc.), career, etc. The end result: I fall under the 20% of the population that is considered "incompatible"! Ughy! Maybe Dad is right - maybe I am too damn picky! I feel I have to be picky - I was in a miserable relationship for seven years (too much drama and personal to get into it - all my close peeps know what and whom I am referring to). I tend to be attracted to assholes and abusive men so I'm trying to be smart about this dating thing. It's an endless cycle!

I've been getting active with organizations to meet other people outside my normal circle: I joined a professional educator's association for women. I'm in a book club. Any other suggestions from folks would be appreciated too - :-) I think it is important to have friends from all kinds of backgrounds.

I do admit it is hard for me to open up. I have major trust issues. A lot of this stems from my childhood.

Such a drama! I'm just feeling lonely - I know I have a lot of family and friends that love and support me. I'm not questioning that - it's the companionship issue that I'm missing the most right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

lori - its ok to be picky. there's nothing wrong with that. if you think you might be too picky, make a list of everything you want in a person & check it over & see if there's something you could be flexible on. Its good to know exactly what you want in someone & what you wont put with from someone. Its actually a smarter way to be. So I applaud you for being on the more picky side...this way you would never settle for anyone less than what you deserve.

im happy to hear that you are trying out eharmony. give it a shot. it cant hurt right?

and im so proud of you for getting out there & doing different things. not only is that a great way to meet people, its also a great way to try different things & gain more confidence in yourself.

you are a beautful person inside & out - remember that. be yourself - have fun with everything you do..and in time mr. right will know where to find you.

Anonymous said...

Hey gal... I am so out of the loop... this is the first blog I have read and I really am glad that you are doing something like this to "document" things going on in your life... Thanks for letting me know and share in your life...

Just think though, two years ago I was in your situation... not one, or two bad long term relationships but three... And look at me now... engaged to a great guy and am now a mom to the greatest little guy...

Its out there for you, and there is nothing wrong with waiting for the right traits in a person...

Take care & keep on writing. Love & Best Wishes ALWAYS!