Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Meaning of Life

OK, it's a serious question to be asking this early in the day. My students were studying the five major world religions and today we were focusing on Buddhism. I was doing my wonderful PowerPoint presentation on Buddha and one of my students asked me if I knew the meaning of life.

My response: I feel it's different for everyone. For me, the meaning of life is acceptance of self, happiness, and laughter. I like the idea of Buddhism - being at peace with yourself and the world. I also like the idea of a lack of interest in materialism. Society today is way too materialistic! I asked my students if they could live without their IPods and computers - response: No!

Does the suffering of the world upset me? Of course it does! Do I do anything about it? Probably not as much as I should. Encouraging others to practice those random acts of kindness or donate their time to a charity more often may be the answer.

Don't worry . . . . Be happy! :-)

No comments: