Saturday, November 19, 2005

Ellie the Cat



No, this is not Ellie the Cat. I haven't had a chance to take the pictures of Ellie off my digital camera yet. I have been taking pics of my baby girl! Why? Because there have been a few requests to see some pics of her on my Blog. I guess she is a popular kitty with my family and friends - OK, I do talk about her all the time, I know! :-)

I saw this pic online and decided to steal it. This is the exact pose that Ellie does when she stretches on my floor - it's so adorable!

This month marks the anniversary of when I adopted her at the MSPCA in Methuen, MA (http://www.nevinsfarm.com/). It was November 2001 and I was living in my apartment in Derry, NH. I was feeling a tad lonely - I really wanted a pet. According to my apartment complex, I was not allowed to have a dog or a cat. But, the rebel in me said, "Screw that!" I am more of a dog person but I thought a dog would be high maintenance and more obvious than a cat. I thought having a cat would be easier. I asked my friend Annette and her daughter Jordanne to come with me to help me with the adoption process. As I walked around the facilities, all I wanted to do was adopt all the animals! As I got to the Cat Room, I walked around to see what kitties they had available. I slowly walked by one cage and this black and white kitty stuck their paw out of the cage at me! I couldn't believe it! I thought that the cat picked me - so, I opened the cage and took the cat out to hold it. The card on the cage stated it was a female and a year old - the name was Spaz. She was so tiny! She had gorgeous green eyes that looked like jewels. As I talked to her, she kept looking straight into my eyes. It was almost eerie the way she looked at me - so, I decided to adopt her! I had to use Annette's address and name to adopt her since my apartment complex didn't allow pets. Technically, Ellie belongs to Annette! :-) Actually, I paid Annette the $75.00 for the adoption. That $75.00 has been best money spent!

I took my new kitty home and renamed her - Ellie. Short for Eleanor. Yes, I named my cat after Eleanor Roosevelt - only a geeky history teacher would name a cat after a First Lady! I didn't like the name Spaz - it didn't really fit her. I thought of what a powerful person Eleanor Roosevelt was and thought that my cat should be named after her. Ellie is her name. I don't think cats understand or know their name anyway.

I took her to the vet after the first week and he told me that Ellie was actually around 6 months old - not 1 year old as the card at the MSPCA originally stated. So, I really don't know Ellie's true birthday. I use the month of November as her birthday.

To my baby girl Ellie- I love ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aaaaw cute picture! cant wait to see pictures of the real ellie :)

so glad you both found each other & make each other happy.

happy birthday to little miss ellie!