Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Revolution!

So, today, we revolt!

I started the French Revolution today in my World History classes. I'm trying to get them into the idea of why people revolt: money (taxes), power, politics, etc. I asked them to respond to these questions: 1) How would you define revolution? 2) What would it take for you to revolt against something and what would that something be? 3) How would you organize your revolution?

My students just sat there and said, "There's nothing to revolt against." My response, "You are all angst teenagers! There has to be something in your lives that you would revolt against!"

At one point, I'm literally standing on top of a student desk and yelling revolution at my students! Again, they look at me like I'm losing my mind! Well, I guess I am losing my mind! At last, they start to laugh at me - YES! They are finally awake!

Again, I ask the questions. Finally, I get some response.

Ahhh . . . the joy of teaching the youth of America!

PS My assistant principal walks by my classroom at the moment when I'm standing on a student desk and yelling me head off at these kids! He just shakes his head. Another "what the hell is she doing" moment! :-)

Can you say freak?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori you are tooooo funny! I wish I coulda been there to see that!! Your asst principal has to be very proud of how much you put into teaching those teenagers! Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of teachers out there that care as much as you do!