Thursday, February 09, 2006

Does money make the world go round?

Money - the vain of my existence.

Got my taxes done yesterday. I'm not getting back as much as I had hoped. I was hoping to get a nice refund this year to pay off some of my debt. That ain't happening! Ughy!

I don't get it - how do people do it? Continue to pay their bills and keep their head above the water. I literally live pay check by pay check. There is no "extra" money to do anything (Ex: fun stuff like going to the movies or out to dinner with friends).

Of course, being a teacher and getting paid shit doesn't help my financial situation out at all. I made a choice to work a job that I love. But, the salary is shit. Dear God - I need to live for goodness sake! I wish that society (the government, the media, the tax payer, etc.) would realize what we as educators do and get nothing for it. I work a second job and still it is not enough. I'm even thinking of getting a third job! How effective will that make me in the classroom?

Life sometimes just sucks! :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why the teachers get paid crap. They work hard or even harder than some of the Higher Executives do. It's insane!

As for money, I believe sometimes money does buy happiness. I know it sucks right now...try to hang in there. You managed to come out of it before..i have faith in you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, Lori. We often times wonder the same thing! I'm gonna go back to working full time in a few months, too. So much for the stay - at - home thing or even the part time thing. All we want is to be able to do things with our children (ie: little weekend vacations in the summer, etc.) Thus I become a 9-5'er...again!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel... not that I work as hard as you do (people have no idea how hard teachers work, unless they are one or are related to one) But paycheck to paycheck is how most of the people I know are... The difference is, some people can sleep with alot of debt and you're not like that. Me either, thats why we don't go on big vacations or drive fancy cars...

Keep your chin up... and just think of the good things you have provided for yourself and be proud.

And always keep in mind the people that don't have jobs, families, homes, etc.

Anonymous said...

being a teacher can be a thankless job.. then you have sport players/entertainers who are very over paid, & someone like you who definitly should be paid a lot more money. you are a teacher, a friend, a therapist, and even a babysitter at times. you care about your students so you are more than a teacher to your kids.
you work hard & sometimes even have to work at home to get the grades done, make up tests..etc.

its very hard to make ends meet, but hang in there kiddo. like lauren said- you've gotten yourself out before, you can do it again, it just takes time. try your best to get yourself out of debt, but maybe keep a jar of change, a dollar here, a dollar there... and that can be your night out money. even if its a sandwich somewhere or a movie.

your friends love you no matter what & will take care of you, or if they cant, will meet you at mcdonalds for a happy meal.. at least you get a toy to play with when you're done :)

hang in there lori. it does suck about the taxes.. when we bought our house we thought we'd get this awesome refund to make repairs because everyone kept saying we would... we got shit back too. i thought it was because we were married..but guess it doesnt matter. you get screwed either way.