Tuesday, August 01, 2006

1st day of School Work

Today I started working on some school stuff.

I've been reading 1776 by David McCullough to brush up on my American Revolution History. So far, I'm enjoying the book. I really like how McCullough writes his books - I've read John Adams a few years and really enjoyed that as well. He shares more personal insight and stories on each individual person so you feel like you actually know that historical figure.

I spent the morning doing research on the Internet and typing up some activities and lessons.

I'm very strong in World History - I've been teaching World History for eight years! It's hard to believe that I'm entering into my eighth year in teaching. I'm not too worried or concerned about the curriculum for that course.

My weakness, as I have mentioned in previous posts, is the material prior to the Civil War. This time period in US History tends to be rather boring (in my personal opinion). I feel like I'm at an advantage on some level because a lot of the history I'll be teaching is right here in New England. I'm hoping maybe I can jazz up some of the material by either taking a few field trips (money is always an issue) or if I take some photos of some of this historical stuff and incorporate it into a PowerPoint so that it might help make the material more interesting. I was thinking that next week, I may take a road trip to Concord and Lexington and take some pictures of some of the historical stuff (I'm working crazy hours at the doggie place this week and the humidity is way too high to be outside taking photographs).

I remember three summers ago my former department chair at Timberlane asked me to come with him to Salem, MA to help him videotape the maritime history. We took turns holding the video camera and adding commentary at various historical sites. He teaches AP US History and wanted to add to his curriculum. He knew the school didn't have the money to do field trips so he figured he'd bring the field trip to the students! I don't have a video camera but I figured my digital camera will work just as good! And, I can incorporate all the pics into PowerPoints.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

8 years teaching? wow already. my how time flies.

thats great that you're starting now to get ready. it will be here before you know it. thats so good about you though, you're planning & getting everything organized & ready...

you rock mdawg! :)

this is going to be a great year for you! just know it.

Anonymous said...

Your awesome! I can't believe it's been 8 yrs!

Anonymous said...

I've said it before... if our teachers had done half the work you to do make things interesting... i would have payed attention alot more... YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT CARING TEACHER... Those kids are going to love having you at their school

Go Get Um!