Monday, August 28, 2006

Working Gal!

I pretty much worked at Paws all weekend.

Friday: Worked 1-5. Meet Annette for dinner at Applebees in Epping, NH. I saw one of my former colleagues from Newburyport there. She works as a waitress for Applebees for extra money. Annette and I then proceeded up to the Lakes Region in NH to go see a musical that her son Darryl is doing up there. This is the second summer that Darryl has worked for the Lakes Region Summer Theatre company. He's the technical director for all the shows. We saw Oklahoma! - I've never seen it before but I thought it was a great musical. The actors and actresses did an amazing job! This theatre company has one famous actor come out of it's program - Tye Diggs! I am so very proud of Darryl - he's one of my babies from the Class of 2003!

Saturday: Worked at Paws 10-3. We had one psycho customer come in and yell at one of the employees about our return policy. MA State law requires each store to post it and print it out on receipts. The store follows that policy. However, people get upset when they try and return something and the store only gives out store credit. I did not make the policy. I only follow it. But, some folks get upset over it.

Sunday: Worked at Paws 11-3. I had a psycho customer come in and yell at me about a return. This woman yelled at me for over 20 minutes! She threatened to call the state on us and she is going to fight her credit card company on paying the bill. The entire time she yelled at me, all I could think of was I really don't get paid enough to deal with this! :-) Remember, this is a part-time job for me. It's a job that I tend to like doing most days because of the interaction I get with the dogs. The woman came back an hour later with her digital camera to take pictures of the store so I think she may try and make a huge issue of this. We did call the owner to give her a heads up about what happened (the owner is down in N. Carolina with her sick father). I really didn't want to bother her with this until the woman came back with the camera.

Other news: As of tomorrow, I go back to school! I'm a little nervous and scared all rolled into one! Starting my teaching career over again isn't exactly what I wanted to be doing at my age but I'm hoping for the best.

They have an exciting agenda planned for us on Tuesday:
8:00 am Continental Breakfast - meet with other new teachers
8:30 am Trolley Tour of Salem
9:45 am Peabody Essex Museum (PEM)
11:00 am Welcome w/ administrators and community members
11:30 am Lunch
12:30 pm Gift bags for new members and Mentor/Mentee Program overview

I'm really looking forward to the trolley tour and PEM. I wonder what's in the gift bags????? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck tomorrow! I know you will do well but first days are always the toughest!

As for Psycho's...is there a full moon out this week?? Just sayin ;)

Anonymous said...

God you guys sure had your share of psychos in the store didnt ya?!? my my some people are very strange. why why why would she be taking pictures of the store??? i swear some people just dont have enough to do.

hope there's something good in the goody bags! :)