Friday, August 11, 2006

My Day in Concord and Lexington

You couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day for my little educational field trip. The weather was perfect!
I started out in Concord. I visited the Concord Museum to brush up on the town history. Because I'm a member of the MTA (Massachusetts Teacher Association) I didn't have to pay the entrance fee to get into the museum. They has some nice exhibits on the early colonial period. They also claim to have one of the lanterns that hung in the church steeple on the night of Paul Revere's ride.
Afterwards, I checked out the Louisa May Alcott house - Orchard House. I've done the tour of the house a million times so I just took a photo of the house.
Picture of Orchard House in Concord.
I then made my journey to the Old North Bridge - the shot heard around the world. There have been some changes since the last time I've been here. First, the path that leads to the bridge from the parking lot is now fenced off. Second, the bridge was just recently rebuilt. I noticed that someone put fresh flowers at the graves of British soldiers.
Picture of the grave of British soldiers.
Picture of Old North Bridge.
It was so peaceful and serene here. Since I went during the week, there were not a lot of tourists so it was pretty quiet. I even found a nice spot under a tree near the bridge and read my book 1776. I figured that this was probably the most appropriate places to read this book. As a visual learner, I try and imagine what it must have been like on April 19, 1775 at this spot. These men died for our freedom and for that I will always be grateful.
I also checked out the Old Manse. Again, I was able to take a free tour because of my MTA card. The house was owned by the Emerson family. Nanthaniel Hawthorne lived here for a period of time as well.
Picture of the Old Manse.
I started to make my way over to Lexington. I parked at the visitor's center at Minuteman National Park and walked a few miles of the Battle Road. It's a great trail that has various plagues and memorials along the way.
This is a picture of the trail from the Battle Road.
This picture is the site where Paul Revere was captured.
A picture of a British soldiers grave.
Overall, I really enjoyed my day. It was educational yet fun. I was able to get some exercise in by walking some of the Battle Road. I took a ton of pictures so I'll be able to incorporate the pictures into my PowerPoint's for school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new students are really going to appreciate learning from something other than just a book...

You're the BEST teacher!

Lea said...

Lori, These places you visited looks very interesting. I would love to visit that orchard house next time I come out to see you. Maybe I could give the tourists a tour of the apples underneath my bra.Ha Ha just kidding.Your students will enjoy having you teach them this stuff.

Anonymous said...

This is why you are such a fantastic teacher...you always put your heart and soul into things :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures loo & sounds like you had an awesome day... ditto on what everyone else said!

you are wonderful & creative & im sure your students will love & appreciate this :)