Saturday, August 25, 2007

My host family in Vladimir, Russia and Problems in the World

This is a picture of me and my host Dad, Andrei, and host Mom, Natalia at their flat in Vladimir.
I just received an email from Yana, my host daughter. She's been wonderful about keeping in touch with me since I've been home. Yana is the inspiration of this post tonight.
My visit with them was so nice and wonderful. They were so kind and good to me. It amazed me how complete strangers could be so kind to a stranger - especially an American! :-)
In my travels over the past few years (Europe), a lot of people in these places don't like Americans. It's really sad when you think about it. A lot of it has to do with our government - mainly our idiot of a President.
When I was in Russia, I spoke with people that always asked me my opinion of President Bush and the war in Iraq. Of course, there is a belief that ALL Americans voted for him (NOT ME!) and that ALL Americans want our troops in Iraq (I support our men and women serving - I don't support our American gov't trying to control the world and push democracy on folks that don't want it!).
My host family asked me if America planned on taking over the world. How do I respond to that? How do I tell them that our government makes decisions that the majority of the American public don't agree? I tried to explain to them I hope that America doesn't have the plan to control the world. Yes, we are a world power (I question for HOW much longer) but that America needs to work with other countries (such as Russia) to make the world a better place, politically, socially, and economically. The focus should be on Darfur or how about this - problems that are going on here in the United States such as education, poverty, Katrina victims, etc. I also pointed out that before Bush was elected, the world didn't hate us as much as they do now. Thanks to our involvement in Iraq and the idiotic decisions that have been made over the past four years by our government, the United States has officially pissed off the majority of the Islamic world and isolated the United States from everyone else. Not a smart move.
So, why did Yana's email motivate me to rattle on these topics here? I don't know. I just get so frustrated with our government. At least here in the United States, we have freedom of speech (or do we?) and freedom of ideas. I'm fearful of where America is heading the next ten years. There are so many other problems in the world that need to be dealt with - global warming, North Korea, poverty and world hunger, etc. Oil is NOT the answer to our problems - we need to find other alternative forms of fuel sources.
While living in Russia for a month, I appreciate the little things in life. Good quality toilet paper. Hot water for a shower whenever I want it. No mystery meat - I know from what animal my meat comes from. Unlimited Internet. No smoking laws. If I get pick pocketed here, the police won't say to me, "Stupid American!" Electricity that stays on most of the time. Cars that have to pass emissions tests to drive on the road. Not seeing piles and piles of trash and litter everywhere in a state or national park. Being harassed by drunk Russian men (in a bad way). Food that has flavor and some taste.
I am proud to be an American. I just don't always agree with how America chooses to do things within its government and the world.
Hang tough folks - we only have 512 more days of a Republican President! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I agree, I agree is all I can say... and your host family is probably right in feeling that "the U.S. is trying to take over..."

that is probably the only way that others can see or try to justify what our government is doing... Especially since they don't get to talk to people that express the true feelings of most Americans... they just hear what their country wants them to... thank goodness they at least got some honest answers and discussions with you.