Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I haven't done "the dirty deed" yet . . . .

I'm such a chicken. I still haven't given notice yet at my second job.

The owner of the store has been so bitchy and hasn't been in the store a lot. She's not even on the schedule for the whole month of August. I understand that she is going through some personal issues but you OWN A STORE!

I worked on Sunday. I was schedule to work 10-3. The lady that was scheduled to work could not work and no one else could work on that day so I got stuck working open to close. I usually don't mind working long hours except that if I need to go to the bathroom and get something to drink, I can't leave the store. And, it was sales tax free weekend in MA so that meant that is would be busy (weekends in the summer at usually busy since we are a tourist town). I worked until 5:30 that day!

The owner came in on Sunday for about 20 minutes (enough time for me to go to the bathroom) and then left! While she was in the store, she was very snappy at me!

So, I guess I won't see her again in the store for a while. I guess I'll have to tell her on the phone that as of the Sept 1st, I will not be working at the store. I don't why I'm being such a chicken about this - I think she's going to throw a fit so I think that is why I'm not telling her. Another employee gave her notice (she's a college student and would be leaving after Labor Day anyway). Another gal that works with us is leaving too.

Reasons why folks are leaving: 1) The bitchiness of the owner (she is very difficult to work for). 2) The responsibility at the store is ridiculous 3) The pay for what we deal with 4) The customers are sometimes rude. The college student that is leaving us got another job this summer working at a retail store in the same downtown area that our store is located (she worked at both stores). I think she realized after working at that store how much easier it is to work at THAT store compared to our store. And, she's making more money for less responsibility. I can't blame her. And, the owner put A LOT of responsibility on her like doing the schedule for the entire summer - essentially this girl was the manager of the store all summer and didn't get paid or treated very well for doing it. I think she just got burnt out. She's been at our store for three years so it's sad to see her go but I don't blame her.

I need to do what is best for me. All of you are commenting and telling me the same thing. I just care too much sometimes. I do love the dogs that come into the store but it's so not worth my aggravation or stress.

Should I just call her to tell her that I won't be working? Please give me your thoughts and opinions. Thanks! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definietly call her... you are completely justified in everything that you are feeling... Its one thing to feel bad for her and try and go above and beyond the call of duty... if the person at least appreciates it... but it sounds like this person has not shown any compassion for ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE FOR THEIR STORE... You can't keep knocking yourself out.

If the call goes badly, okay, at least you know you did everything possible to help out.

Anonymous said...

Diddo to what Traci said. I wouldn't want to work for that woman any longer...you have put in your time there..and then some! Maybe it's best its over the phone anyways.

Anonymous said...

I think that since the owner is so bitchy that over the phone might be the best way to do it. You need to worry about you ... you can't save the world! You already have 1 stressful job ... I don't think that your weekend job should be stressful too. That store is her problem and she's creating more problems the way that she's acting - you're not going to be able to change it so just walk away! GOOD LUCK!