Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Adjusting to life back in the United States

Sometimes, you don't realize how lucky we have it here in the United States. Hot water whenever we want it, rights protected under our laws and Constitution, technology, etc.

Life in Russia was hard. And I was only living there for a month. I knew I was coming back to my lovely home with all the modern conveniences, my rights were protected by my government and our Constitution, police are not corrupt here and bribery is rare, and if I wanted to change my financial situation, I could change it. If there is something about my life that I don't like, I don't accept it. I try and change it.

Russians don't live this way. They accept that they can't make a change or difference in their lives. They don't trust the police since the police won't help them. For example, when I was in St. Petersburg, a few members of our group decided to stay in the downtown area for some drinks and dinner for the evening and take the Metro back to the Hotel. We bought our coins for the metro (12 rubles or 48 cents in American money) and headed down the very LONG escalator to the Metro (subway). We were talking and laughing (basically, being loud and obnoxious Americans). We arrived at the bottom and walked in front of the doors to the Metro - waiting for the next available train. The train arrives and we all walk forward to enter the train. As we enter the train, we are shoved HARD! I went flying into the train (which was crowded since it was during Rush Hour or peak hours). I felt someone try and reach into my pocket. I didn't keep anything in my pockets - everything was in my side bag that I always carried in front on me during close confined spaces or situations. One of the guys in my group (Mike) was not so lucky - they stole his wallet with all his money and credit cards and drivers license. Good news - they didn't get his passport which was in his other back pocket. We were warned to not carry our money in our back pockets since pick pocketing is VERY popular in Russia. As the doors were closing, Mike jumped out to chase the criminals that stole his wallet. We all looked at each other - panic-stricken. This woman on the Metro said to us in English, "That's Russia for you!" It's like they accept this type of behavior. The rest of our group got back to the Hotel to tell the main guy in charge of our group what had happened. We also went to the Police and their response was, "Not our problem!" "Stupid Americans! You should be smarter than to keep your money where someone would steal it!" Nice, heh? The Police refused to help us. Mike did come back to the Hotel. He told the Hotel what happened and they allowed him to make a quick phone call home to tell his wife to cancel all the credit cards. And, he'll have to replace his drivers licence. The good news is that he still had his Passport. If they got his Passport, it could've ended up on the black market and sold.

I couldn't get over how the Police reacted (Or should I say the lack of reaction) in this situation. If this happened in the United States, they would've at least filed a report and been more helpful. I heard many stories while in Russia on how the Police are not helpful and if you are in trouble, you don't go to the Police. I had also heard many stories on how you could bribe or pay off the Police. We were also told that if a woman was raped, the Police wouldn't do anything. Very scary society!

Regarding the hot water: There would be days without hot water so people go days without showering or bathing. Makes for a very stinky society! :-( Again, the people in Russia accept it and do nothing about it. They don't go to their local politicians to complain. They don't advocate for their rights. Nothing.

We are very blessed and lucky to have what we have here in the United States. I know we all complain about our government at times or society. But, we really are lucky. Remember that the next time you complain about something here in the United States!

PS Mike lost $150 cash. Nothing was charged on his credit cards before he cancelled them so he was VERY lucky! Some American teachers in my group loaned him money to get by until the end of the trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is VERY scary! Good thing you guys traveled in groups! Also lucky for him the damage was minimal! I'm sure that there are corupt police here in the US and also one's who don't care but the good news is that when they are caught ... they are out of a career! I used to think that it'd be cool to see the world but after hearing some of your stories...There's lots right here in the good ol' USA to see and I'll just stick with that! Glad to know, though, that you came back safe & sound!

Anonymous said...

We ARE lucky! That is scary. I don't keep anything in my pockets when I travel. I bring a closed backpack/purse with me and carry it in the front. I tell Rich to put his wallet in his front pocket.

I'm glad you surived that awful Metro!