Sunday, October 01, 2006

Welcome to October!

I love the fall in New England! There is something about this time of the year that I absolutely adore!

Here's a top ten list:

10) Topsfield Fair - America's oldest agricultural fair. You can check out the sheep, cows, and pigs and enjoy some great food and entertainment.

9) Pumpkin Festival in Keene, New Hampshire - See some amazing pumpkins carved into unique shapes and faces and all lit up at night.

8) Leaf Peeping - Check out this interactive map from Yankee Magazine! The colors of the trees are usually so vibrant and beautiful in the fall. I don't know if we will have a good fall out here this year due to the crazy summer weather we had but those leaves may surprise ya!

7) Apple Picking - Make those apple pies or apple sauce. I'm an apple crisp gal myself!

6) Hay rides - Charmingfare Farm up in Candia, New Hampshire has some great stuff up there. I did a haunted hayride once with some colleagues of mine from Timberlane as a faculty outing. We had a blast!

5) Go visit the Yankee Candle Flagship Store in Deerfield, MA - The drive on Rt 2 out there is one of the most beautiful drives in the fall here in New England. If you are into candles, Yankee is a must see! I'm a Yankee junkie - I love their candles! Another good time to go out to visit is around Christmas (if you can deal with all the tourists).

4) Pumpkin Picking - Mac's Apples in Londonderry, NH is a good place to go apple picking and find a nice pumpkin. They also serve pumpkin ice cream! Yummy!!!!

3) Davis Farm - Megamaze. I highly recommend this corn maze in Sterling, MA is so much fun! I went out there one year for a school field trip with the psychology classes at my previous school. The kids loved it! Warning: It's not as easy as it may sound to go all the way through the maze - every year there is a theme for the maze. In 2003, the theme was the lost kingdom (medieval). This year, the theme is the great movie maze. They have bridges and a lot of dead ends so it can be very confusing but loads of fun!

2) Salem, MA - Go visit Salem. The closer it gets to Halloween, the more freaker it gets in that city! Check out Laurie Cabot's store. Or the Witch Museum. Warning: the closer it gets to Halloween, the more tourists in Salem too! Can be crowded.

1) FOOTBALL! Go Patriots!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy October... it has the best "colors" and the best holiday "Halloween"... Its too bad I live so far away... your top 10 list sounds really GOOD... Thanks for sharing

Robyn J said...

Thanks for the list of to-dos. Things are good...I think we sold our house so this month could be an absolute whirlwind. (Our buyers want to close on Oct. 27.) Yeah, I've got a lot of packing ahead of me! We'll only be moving one town over so we won't be that much further. Happy October!!

Anonymous said...

I love October too. It's my favorite month! Of course I'll miss the topsfield fair yet again this weekend. I always forget about it! oh and apple picking I've never done it but would love to!