Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sometimes, I just wish I knew how to breathe . . . .

It's been one of those weeks. You know. Your schedule is so crazy that you can't even go to the bathroom or breathe.

I'm a YES person. The word NO is not in my vocabulary. I'm always the first one to volunteer to do something at school. Guess who said they would be the freshman class advisor? Yup! Me! I'm such a sucker! And, I'm always trying to be a better teacher so I'm consistently signing up for professional development stuff. I started a workshop today on Co-teaching with a SPED teacher. Plus, I have a second job.

It's official. I'm completely overwhelmed right now. And, I think I'm coming down with a cold. Joy! Of course it doesn't help that there is no heat in my building right now and the temps in the building are colder inside than outside.

It amazes me how relaxed I was on Sunday. I slept in. Met Carla for lunch. Judged the lip synch performances in the evening at Timberlane. I woke up on Monday morning feeling well rested and anxious to start my week at school. It's only Tuesday evening, I'm already exhausted! I still have the rest of the week - Early Release on Wed (faculty meetings and mini-workshops are planned for the afternoon), I have students staying every day this week for extra help, I just found out that I have parents coming in for conferences on Thursday after school and I need to work at my second job, I work on Thursday night until 8:00, etc. It's endless.

Yes, I created my crazy schedule. I know I need to say no??? Since it's my first year at a new school, I feel the pressure of trying to please everyone. It's a vicious cycle!

So, that's my ranting and raving for the week. Aren't ya happy you read my blog today????

5 comments:

Lea said...

Since you have been working so hard I think you deserve to go out and have a couple drinks. I wish I was there with you to tie one on for old time sake!

Robyn J said...

I'm sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. I was a yes girl as well...I took on the freshman class and yearbook my first year teaching high school back in PA. Throw a second job in there and my head would have been spinning!!! Here's to you getting fully rested again this coming weekend! Oh yeah...how was the lip sync??

Anonymous said...

Don't get yourself caught back into that vicious cycle where everyone is happy but Lori! Take time to step back and evaluate your schedule...make sure there is Lori time in there every week! You'll regret it if you don't! Life is too short for you to live it for others and not yourself!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Lori that you feel overwhelmed. I'm a lot like you, i always say yes to everything and when i say no I feel so guilty. Even if it's one day a week, make sure it's time for you. Lets both start saying no to things..we can be an inspiration to each other.

On that note...are you free the 3rd? Janet and I are going to dinner, if you would like to join us for some girlie time?

Anonymous said...

PLEASE start taking better care of YOU... its great to help others, but what good will you be if you are exhausted? You are one of the most giving people I know... but hey... GIVE TO YOURSELF TOO! We love you and want you to be in a good place!