Wednesday, October 04, 2006

M-Dawg, have you graded our quizzes yet????

The first year at any school can be a difficult adjustment to any veteran teacher. Not only do you have to learn over 100 student names, but you have to learn new faculty names, new policies and procedures, and a new curriculum in some cases. It can be a tad bit overwhelming.

I'm having a tough time trying to keep up with everything. I think I was spoiled at my previous job. I had so many resources and technology at my disposable to make my job so much easier. That is not the case at this school.

Correcting is eating me up alive right now. I have huge class numbers - in most of my classes, I have at least 29 students. I teach five classes - you do the math! I could stop giving homework but I don't think that would go over very well with administration or parents.

Oh, the answer to the above question - YES! I finally finished grading the quizzes on Mesoamerica and Africa! :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aawwww sorry to hear you are so overwhelmed! hopefully its a schedule you will be comfortable with eventually.. just give yourself some time. everything is so different, it takes some time to get use to everything.

hang in there sweetie!

Anonymous said...

yikes... sounds like alot of work... just do what you can and keep chipping away at it... alot of teachers just wouldn't give the homework... and the kids wouldn't learn... you are so much better than that..

Anonymous said...

Hang in there M-dawg...hopefully you will get adjusted soon! I guess your not use to us city kids!

Robyn J said...

Breathe a sigh of relief! I always dreaded grading...and I had no where near what other teachers had to grade.

I remember feeling like I had stepped into the Dark Ages when I started to teach at Timberlane. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for some schools to catch up to the rest of the world!