Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bad day on Friday

My C Block class is going to be the death of me yet! They are a very needy and immature group of kids.

It's a co-taught SPED class with 30 kids! Yes, 30! According to their IEP, they are all supposed to get individualized attention - so, how does that work? It doesn't work! And, the SPED teacher that they have me with is incompetent and useless. He does nothing - absolutely nothing to help me or the kids. He falls asleep in the back of my classroom. That's about all the "work" he does in my classroom.

On top of it, I have some behavioral challenged kids in the class too.

Not a fun class. I have done everything that I can to "better" the situation - talked to the SPED teacher, talked to his supervisor, talked to administration, etc. I wrote out on an index card each student and what their accommodation needs thinking this would help him. He looked at the card and folded it and put it in his book bag and I haven't seen it since. I even signed up for the co-teaching workshop thinking that it might help. He didn't sign up for the workshop - when I asked him about it, he laughed in my face! I've tried to give him more responsibilities in the classroom and he wants no part of it. I can't force the man to do his job.

This teacher works with three other teachers in my dept and all three are having the same problem with him. So, apparently it's not just me.

I've tried to not let it bother me but my concern is always for the kids. Their needs are not being met. Legally, it's me that's responsible for the accommodations of these kids and following the IEP but the SPED teacher is supposed to provide support. That is not happening.

On Friday, the SPED teacher was absent. Usually, that's a good thing for me. He's already been out three days already so I have a feeling that this may be a pattern. However, I had to give a quiz and according to most of their IEP's, I'm supposed to read aloud the entire quiz to them. I ended up having to read the entire quiz to everyone in the class. Usually, the SPED teacher would take the kids (12 of them) to another classroom and read the quiz aloud to them. Meanwhile, I usually walk around the room and help kids. There is one of me. I can't help all the kids at the same time. And, don't even get me started on the middle school's writing of these IEP's - they are absolutely ridiculous! Most of the IEP's have over 35 accommodations when all you have to do is summarize them down to about 5! And, the IEP's "baby" the kids. Coddle them. Ughy!

It's very frustrating and I don't know what else I can do. I'm trying to handle the discipline problems. Most of the kids that are a behavioral problem will be kicked out of my class eventually anyway. And, most of them are failing the class too. I've called home, sent emails home, and letter home. Nothing. No support.

The bright light at the end of a real crappy day: I got this email from my friend Cheryl:

I saw this is our little morning paper this morning and thought I'd pass it on. I bet ya your students say that you inspire...
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. William Arthur Ward


Thanks Cheryl for cheering me up - I really needed to read that email after having such a crappy day. Thanks kiddo! Love ya!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that the timing was so good! I hope that the situation gets better soon! I can't belive the complete lack of support you & the kids are receiving. I feel for both you & them. How terrible to have to deal with this at a new job! Hang in there sweetie...things have to improve!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow... you are so more patient than I am... I would have that so called co-teacher strung up... Is there a way to report him to someone higher up? I know you said that you've spoken to people, but sounds like they aren't helping...

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. M,
This blog makes me think back to sophomore year of HS when I had Dev and Wink for World Studies... and our class got nicknamed the hell class! Hopefully things will get better for you! Its too bad that this teacher isnt helpful. But I am glad that overall you enjoy your new school! Good luck with the rest of the year!

Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Lori about all of this. I can't understand why that teacher gets away with it. Didn't any of the other teachers say anything?

And the parents for not responding? Nice! I can't believe parents do not care about their kids well being. Geez!

I hope this week goes better for you.

Miss you!

Lea said...

That sped teacher sounds like a tart. Did he ride the short blue bus when he attended school? I hope things get better for you. Maybe your school will get rid of him once they realize he's useless.