Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer is in full swing in New England

OK, here in New England, a lot of us were bitching that we were sick of the rain and the colder weather. Sick of this unseasonable crap! Where's the sun? Where's the heat?

Well, it's official! Summer is here. Humidity and all!

I'm very fortunate that my condo is in the lower level. Sorta like the basement. So, it stays reasonable cool most of the time. However, every once in a while, I have to turn on my A/C.

Lots of reasons to be happy for summer. One: no correcting or grading papers for at least two months. Don't get me wrong, I adore my job but the correcting gets to be rather tedious at times. Second: I can sleep in on some days. Well, I am working a part-time job - I'm not totally being a lazy bum this summer. Third: I'm starting to get excited about my new teaching new job. Ok, not summer related but I had to share the fact that I'm excited about something in a long time!

Oh -Mom and Mandy came out for a visit - they were here from June 30th to July 4th. I felt bad for them because they had a horrible experience flying out here. Long story but let me offer this advice: Avoid LaGuardia Airport! I took them to Hull, MA on Saturday. It is so beautiful down there but they agreed it could get quite lonely and isolating down there after a while. We ate lunch at this place. Yummy seafood! As we drove back north, we stopped at a few shopping places. My sister loves to shop! :-) We stopped here. We didn't find any good deals. On Sunday, I drove them up to the Tilton Outlets in NH. We ate lunch at the Tilton Diner. This place is so cool - it's an old diner that serves cheap but great food! Mom enjoyed it because they play music from the 1950's and 1960's. On Monday, we met Carla up in Portland, Maine. I love hanging out in Old Port. They have these amazing shops and restaurants. We ate lunch here. The restaurant was converted from a car ferry. The restaurant is right on the water and we ate outside. I had a yummy lobster roll - so did Mandy! Her first! We had a fun but busy visit. I forgot to take my camera so no pics. I felt bad for them because their flight left at 6:00 am out of Boston on July 4th. Going back to Chicago - no problems or delays this time. They had a non-stop flight going back.

So, this has been my excitement. I've also been working at Pawsitively Best Friends.

What have you been doing this summer?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You changed your new layout. I like this one too. It's good to change things up a bit :)

I've been to the tilton diner...it's yummy!

Do you work on Sundays too? Let me know, maybe Rich and I can take a drive up there and see ya at your PT job :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy visit with your family... you definitely sound alittle more upbeat... SOUNDS GOOD... I can't wait to hear stories about your new school... Salem I bet is a neat area...

Take care, enjoy a couple of those late mornings...

Anonymous said...

love the new layout as well :) its pretty cool... i dont remember seeing this kind.

sounds like you guys had a great visit! glad they were able to come out & visit you for you a bit.. you must have loved having them here.

thanks goodness you will not be going to hull! too far definitly. they must have been disappointed to find out you werent going to teach there.

happy summer! just as long as we dont get anymore freaking rain! :)

Robyn J said...

Like the new layout! You threw me off for a minute as I have a friend with the same template...I forgot whose blog I was reading! Anyway, glad to hear you had a nice visit with some fam. Sooooo excited for you this coming school year!

Robyn

Lea said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit with your mom and Mandy. I'm leaving for Wisconsin July 12th for a week. I am taking my niece Madison,a friend of hers and my mom.We will stay at my cousins house for a few nights and also stay at her cottage which is located on a huge lake. The sand and water is right in the back yard of the cottage. My cousins will be taking me to a Sammy Hagar concert. We are going to 2 different fairs. The kids will love that. I will let you know how the trip goes when I get back. Keep enjoying your summer. It goes by so darn fast.