Thursday, April 12, 2007

Positive thoughts

I know that lately this blog has gone to the "dark side." The negative space. And, it's not a good thing.

So, today I will talk about a positive event. I just want to point out that I did have some students that did well 3rd Quarter. Those students really worked their butts off and did an amazing job. I gave them words of encouragement throughout the quarter by "harassing them" in the hallway - "Did you do the homework assignment?" or "Don't forget you have a quiz tomorrow!" I also gave them cards and free homework passes. I had 15 failures but 100 students passed my classes. I should be focusing on the passing grades and not the failures. Teaching on the freshman team, we are given the stats of the failure rates instead of the passing rate and the focus is always on the negative and how we can improve the negative.

I think part of the problem is that the building I work in so pretty negative. When you have icky thinking in the workplace, it tends to grow like mold! And, the kids feel the vibe too.

I AM proud of those kids that brought up their grades considerably - these were kids that had failing grades throughout the school year and are working hard to bring up the grade so they can pass for the school year. For example, I had one kid that's been getting 40's for grades but brought up their grade to a 71! This is a wonderful thing!

Does anyone have any ideas of how to stop the "stinky thinking" and get back to that positive vibe?????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its hard not to get stuck in that rut... But you just always have to try and think of how it could be "WORSE"... everyone has bad days, and teachers always have some kids that test them... but stand tall and know how proud your friends and family are of you... And don't worry about posting negative thoughts... its your blog and you write about what is going on... it wouldn't be right if you edited out the bad and only told us the good stuff... Keep your chin up, you have lots to look forward to this SUMMER.

Lauren & Rich said...

I don't ever think that you blog in a negative way or even depressing. Even if you did, those are your feelings anyways. What does M-dawg always say? "never apoloize for how you feel". The season is almost almost over... stay strong!

Anonymous said...

i havent noticed your blog being negative - but you're right. its good to focus on other stuff as well - and seeing how that many students passed who were failing - thats quite an accomplishement!

congrats to them & to you for being such a wonderful teacher !