Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I'M GOING TO RUSSIA!!!!!!

Oh my God!!!!!

I was notified this afternoon via email that the Fulbright-Hays grant was approved and I'm heading to Russia this summer!!!!!

I'm soooooooo excited!!!!!

I called my Mom today at work. My folks have many concerns about this trip:

1) My safety - the idea of me traveling that far away is freaking them out.

2)They don't want to see me get in trouble financially and overspend.

3) Leaving my cat for such a long period of time and having someone else take care of her.

I understand their concerns. But this is such a wonderful opportunity for me, personally and professionally. Everything is paid for by the grant except spending money. I promise not to get too crazy with spending. The safety issue - something could easily happen to me here in the United States too. I refuse to live my life in fear. I love traveling - I want to see the world before I settle down and get married. What's wrong with that? The Ellie the Cat issue is understandable. Mom wants to make sure that her "grandcat" is taken care of. I'm a good Mom. I will make sure she's all set.

I just wish that they would be proud and happy for me.

Is it June 18th yet??????????????

5 comments:

Lea said...

This will be a good vacation for you. I guess no matter where you travel there will always be concerns. Maybe you can pick up a russian guy and do the hokey pokey with him. Just kidding. I myself traveled Euorope and love it. I really enjoyed learning about other cultures. The scenery is just amazing their to. I am happy for you Lori!

Lauren & Rich said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you..I know you've been wanting this for a long time...I'll miss you :( We need to get together before you leave..June will be right around the corner!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very happy for you, Lori! I'm sure that you will enjoy every minute of that trip! And you are right - you can encounter danger anywhere! Right now I'm not at work due to an evacuation. Apparently an 'unknown white substance' was found outside our post office and they have a 2 block radius completely evacuated & blocked off. A couple of weeks ago, there was an armed robbery at a pharmacy (blocks from my home)in which tobacco & narcotics (not money!) were taken. And I live in a small town! Just be very cautious of your surroundings... we don't want our Lori to get hurt! I'd take care of your Ellie for you if I could but I'm sure that you will find a very good sitter for her while you are gone because you are a very good mommy! As a parent myself, I can see why your parents are freaking out but I also realize that good parents also have to 'let go' and allow their children to explore their world. Make sure that you stock up on lots of film and batteries for your digital camera. You need to share all your adventures!

Robyn J said...

Wow! That is awesome!! I traveled to Haiti the summer after my junior year in high school. Talk about parents being concerned for their kid. It was the most amazing trip I have ever been on yet my mother still talks about how nervous she was for me and how often she prayed for me when I was away. Parents are sometimes unable to see past their concern because they are blinded by love. I cannot count just how many times I have felt that "Mother Bear" feeling when it comes to my kids. I know that I need to let go, to an extent, and let them learn certain things on their own but it hasn't gotten any easier to do so. We'll all be openly proud and thrilled for you, I think your parents will do enough worrying for all of us! (I know my mom STILL does!)

Anonymous said...

you're right loo, you cant live your life in fear. you have to get out & enjoy things life has to offer - especially something you soo have been looking forward too.

just be extra careful & have a blast. we'll have to see ya before you go off on your wonderful adventure!