Tuesday, April 10, 2007

3rd Quarter Grades are due by Wednesday @ 3:00 pm!

Can M-Dawg do it? Can she get all the grades calculated and entered into the school system????

So, I'm winding down 3rd quarter which means that grades are due . . . ah, tomorrow! Ughy!

Today in my three classes (US History Honors, World Studies Honors, and World Studies College Prep), I gave out printouts of their grades for 3rd quarter so they know before the report card comes out what they are getting for a grade. What a concept! Actually being informed of what they EARNED for 3rd quarter! Never mind that I give them EACH a "Keeping Score" sheet so THEY can keep track of their OWN grades. Very few of them actually keep track of their own grades.

In my World Studies Honors class, I had an interesting drama:
*As I'm passing out grade sheets, one of my female students (who never pays attention or hands in homework assignments) asks if she can ask me a question regarding her grade. I had already explained that if she (or anyone else) had issues or concerns that she (they) can come see me after school on HER (their) time. She ignores my remark and tells me that I've "made a mistake" on her grade sheet. I asked what was the mistake. She tells me that she was absent on this one particular day and that the zero for the missing assignment needs to be deleted. Why? "Well, M-Dawg, I was absent! I'm not responsible for making up the work that I missed in class that day." Hmmmm? I try and explain to her that it states on my syllabus and I've reminded them a million times that whenever they are absent, they are to see me for the missing work and assignments. This girl barely gets C's in my Honors class - I didn't recommend her to stay in Honors next year but her mother waived her in anyway.

In my World Studies College Prep class, I had this drama:
*One of my students chose to cut my class last Thursday. Thursday was the last day a teacher could accept any late or missing work. I don't accept missing or late work except if the student has an excused absence. This student "freaks out" on me about not accepting his homework from the last class. I'm trying to explain to him that since he cut my class, I'm not under any obligation to take the assignment for a grade (this is stated in the Student Handbook). He was yelling in my face and I kept stepping back since he was in "my personal space." He then calls me a "racist." For anyone that knows me, I'm soooo not a "racist" - this student was upset and angry over a bad choice that he made and now he will have to suffer the consequences. He was taking his anger out on me. I kept explaining to him that I don't accept any missing work from a student that cuts my class. I don't care who or what you are! I have to say I was somewhat amused by his comment. Trust me, if I was a racist, would I be working at an inner city school???????? I think not. I did ask him to step out in the hallway to calm down. Unfortuntely, this is a kid that is never held accountable for his actions. So, I wrote him up and we shall what happens. I did try and speak to him after class and he was still too angry to talk to me.

Tomorrow, I give out grades to two classes. I wonder if anyone will "go off" on me?????????

No comments: