Monday, April 30, 2007

The "good kids" are upset over what happened on Friday

Today, I had to deal with the flack and disappointment of no Fling dance on May 11th. The freshman administrator was out of the building today for a conference so it fell on me to handle damage control.

The parents are upset. They are complaining that "it's not fair." Yes, they spent a ton of money on the clothing for this dance.

The kids are upset because they feel they shouldn't be punished for what other kids did wrong.

The freshman teachers are standing by their decision that the Fling should be cancelled.

The non-freshman teachers who were not even in the auditorium during the 1st assembly feel that the Freshman teachers "over-reacted."

This is my opinion: Guess what???? Life is not fair! I refuse to be treated with no respect and have no consequences for those students actions would be a disservice to them and their future. I will not be treated like shit. I don't get paid enough as a class advisor to be treated like shit. The 16 freshman teachers in that auditorium 100% agreed with me and supported the decision that the administration made for the situation.

I stand behind that decision!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I could say to the parents of the "good kids" is that they should set up something private then... that way the other people wouldn't be able to ruin it...

I'm sure none of them would want to do any work...

If their kids won't tell the others to knock it off then they are just as much to blame for missing out.

Anonymous said...

i agree with traci on the "parents of the good kids should set up something private"

it is disappointing that a few bad eggs ruined it for everyone - but unless you have names to "ban" those kids from attending - what else could be done? and i dont think you guys over reacted at all. if there is no discipline to the rudeness & disrespectful behavior, how else will they get the hint?

it is unfortuante the good kids will miss out. and maybe the good kids are too scared to tell the bad eggs to shut the hell up. i do feel bad for them.

EHT said...

I guarantee if you had had smaller type announcements in the classrooms the behavior would have still been there. We had an assembly the other day and even in elementary conditions were simply deplorable. The problem is it is so hard to identify the culprits, and I firmly believe that at the time many of those "good kids" were highly entertained and thought the situation was funny.

Great call to cancel and I applaud your adm. for backing you up.

It's almost over.....

Lauren & Rich said...

I agree with everyone too but maybe this is a good way for everyone to learn from this situation.