Saturday, February 10, 2007

Update on parent meeting

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

The parent made up excuses for her child the entire 1 1/2 hour! The lawyer is trying to get me to excuse all the missing work the kid missed (even when the student cut my class). I stood firm and said no. All of this missing work is past the two weeks allowed to makeup work even with excused absences.

The best part of the meeting was this conversation with the mother afterwards:
*The mother admits to me that she wrote a paper for the student (Middle Ages Project back in December).
*The accommodation was instead of the student writing the required two pages for the paper, the student could write one page.
*1/2 page was turned into me - with no bibliography.
*The entire 1/2 page paper was plagiarized off of Wikipedia.com!
*Words were left bolded and underlined so I Googled the paper and sure enough, it pops up on Wikipedia!
*So, the mother plagiarized the paper for the student.
*The mother was insulted that I criticized the paper because the mother thought SHE did a great job on the paper!

How do I respond to that????? I was so horrified that I said nothing. And, the mother wants me to change the grade. I responded to her - NO!

Can it get any more horrific????????

Yup! The mother had another meeting that afternoon with the son and the son is a senior and won't be graduating because he doesn't have enough credits. The mother admits in the meeting that SHE will make sure her son does all of THEIR work in THEIR classes so THEY will graduate!!!!!

I swear this whole drama sounds like an episode from Jerry Springer!

It's going to be a longgggggg rest of the school year with this student - I can feel it!

3 comments:

Lauren & Rich said...

You've got to be kidding me?!?!?!?! I have no words for this...just can't believe it...well actually I can!

Anonymous said...

I'd be bald by now pulling my hair out! Either that or in big trouble for wrapping my hands around their throats and screaming 'What the heck is the matter with you anyway?' :)
You must have the patience of a saint, Lori! Make sure that you get lots of 'down time' so you don't get burned out!

Anonymous said...

there are no words to describe how much that parent is a poor excuse.. well for a parent.

i can see helping your kids do the work if they are overwhelmed, but by the sounds of it, the kids not even trying. and not being made to try either.