Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's my Birthday!

I turned 36 today. I already got a ton of emails, phone calls, cards in the mail, etc. from family and friends.

I am so blessed to have such wonderful folks in my life. :-)

Yesterday, one of my students made me a birthday cake and we shared it with the class. It was very sweet!

I always have mixed feelings about my birthday. Since my birthday is on Valentine's Day, I've always felt like it was this jinx on my love life. Unfortunately, I've never had a great love life. As I am getting older, I tend to focus on what I don't have in my life (Ex: husband and children). If these things are meant to happen to me, it will happen. I feel my "clock" ticking because I really want to have children some day. It's an ongoing struggle in my life and I let it consume me and that's not the most healthy thing in the world.

I need to realize all the positive things in my life: a supportive and loving family, wonderful friends, a job that I love, Ellie the Cat, and most importantly, good health.

As my Mom would say, "Age is all in your mind and what you make of it." Mom, you are correct. I vow to try and work harder at being more positive and not let my age get me depressed or down.

Thank you everyone for your love and support on my extra special day!

Lots of hugs and love! :-)

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Happy Birthday! to a great teacher and great advisor!

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your day! Don't waste precious energy & time on worrying about things that you can't change. We'd all like to be younger, I'm sure. You just have to focus on today being the first day of the rest of your life. Trust me ... when you're not looking, cupid will strike! :)

Robyn J said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Glad the snow dance worked. We are digging out today.

As far as the love life stuff goes, well, I wish I had some magic words to make it all better. I can tell you that there are pros and cons to both sides of the fence. Honestly, I don't know which one is best. I am often times envious of those who have the freedom to live their lives. There are many things that I would like to be doing...teaching, growing as an artist, spending time with friends, I could countinue the list effortlessly. I suppose I could do it all but then something would suffer and it would most likely be my children. Life is definitely good, but I cannot guarantee that I wouldn't be as happy if I were wearing different shoes, so to speak. You are an amazingly independent woman. Keep your head high and your spirits higher...you never know what life has in store for you.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday lori!

your mother has some great words of wisdom. my birthday got me down this year too...the clock is ticking blah blah blah - but we just have to remember we are still young & as my counselor told me, there is still plenty of time for children. she also said the benefit of being older and dating someone your age or older, relationships tend to move a quicker because both parties pretty much already know what they want.

there's time lori. just enjoy life. keep smiling & having fun :)