Thursday, February 01, 2007

Finished correcting Midterm Exams . . . Finally!

I'm really disappointed in my students. Mainly my freshman.

They didn't study for their midterm exams. At all. Failed. Tanked. Either way you look at it, they did horribly.

I'm trying not to take it personal. One of the math teachers had 40 students fail for 2nd quarter. 40 students! Everyone I talked to on the freshman team told me they had huge numbers of failures for 2nd quarter. I had a total of 15 (which is down from my 23 from 1st quarter). Do you know how hard you have to work to fail my class? Pretty damn hard!

What are we doing wrong in education? I know I'm opening a huge can of worms here but I'm really frustrated and troubled by the fact that the majority of my students simply don't care about their education. Is it because of MCAS (the comprehensive test here in MA that doesn't allow students to graduate unless they pass this test)? Is it because we are expecting too much from them? Is it because of all the problems going on in the home/parents? Is it my teaching?

I'm jumping hoops to hook the kids in my classes. Interactive, hands-on, and group work. I do simulations, games, mock trials, etc. They are working on their writing and analysis skills since they need to know how to write in the real world. I try and make connections to them on everything we study in class.

I just don't know anymore. I love teaching history and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude but it's difficult when the majority of your students are not doing well in your class.

How do I teach them to care about their education????????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's definately not your teaching, Lori. Kids of this generation are just lazy. I fight at home constantly with my kids to care about their schoolwork. I have to 'scare them' by telling them that they'll be living off the streets with no food or clothes if they don't work hard and get good grades. It's awful! They just don't like to work hard ... maybe it's the parents fault. Maybe we pamper them too much... Maybe we let them play too many video games. I have to make my youngest read for 30 minutes a day or he'll be on his PS2 all night long. It's hard work for me to get my kids to care. Imagine how hard it would be for parents who both have a career and work a lot of hours. They're too tired to fight with the kids or too busy to keep up with it.
I completely understand your frustrations, Lori, but don't take it personally and don't dwell on it at home! Relax with Ellie the cat.
PS. Corey made honor roll this past quarter! He's got a big reward on the way! :) I'm so dang proud of him! I knew he could do it but it took a lot of blood, sweat & tears to get it done! (for sure the tears! - from both of us!)

Lauren & Rich said...

Your a terrific teacher. I wish i had a teacher like you when I was in school. You make things so much interesting and fun for the kids. I agree with Cheryl, the kids are just lazy...and I know it's so fusterating, especially when you put your heart and soul into helping/teaching these kids.

Hang in there sweetie :)

Lea said...

It's so much different now then when we were younger. I agree with Cheryl the kids are lazier. It's a whole new generation. I even see the way kids talk back to their parents. If any of us did that when we were younger we would have had an ass whoopin!These kids have no idea what living in the real world means and how important an education is. Sad huh?