Saturday, September 16, 2006

General Observations of my First Week

I survived my first week at my new school.

This school is so different than my previous school(s). One, it's more diverse. I have students in my class that speak Spanish, Portuguese, Albanian, and Chinese as their first language. So, I have the challenge of not only teaching them World History but also the language barrier. I like having all the different cultures in my room - it's great for class discussions! Second, this school is the largest school I've ever worked in. My own high school in IL (Hall High School) was only around 400 students in the entire building! My new school is around 1400 students! Third, the lack of use and/or presence of technology in the school. I've been spoiled working at my previous school. In my old classroom, I had a teacher computer(with the Internet) with an LCD projector installed from the ceiling so I could show DVD's or do PowerPoints, I had four student computers in the back of my classroom for student use, a printer, a VCR, and access to Email. This school, nothing! I bring in my laptop to do some work. We do have a small computer lab for teacher use but they are OLD Macs! Email is not encouraged with the faculty. Everything given to us in paper format in our mailboxes so it's such a waste of time and paper. I feel like I've stepped back in time of at least ten years regarding technology. Fourth, there are only four photocopiers for a faculty of 200 plus. And, on a good day, if we are lucky, two of them are actually working. And, we are given paper by our Head Teachers or Dept Chairs so they monitor the paper use. Once we run, that's it! We have to buy our own paper. At my previous school, we had a photocopier in the dept office. Oh, there is no dept office at my new school.

As frustrating and challenging as some parts of my new job can be I do like my new school. The kids are great! I have a few problem kids but most of them are pretty good kids. My colleagues are incredibly helpful and supportive. The administration (so far) has been supportive and good too. The lack of technology has really messed up my time management so I'm not as productive as I used to be for getting ready for my school day. I'm hoping that I'll adjust to it.

I am trying to find a cheap LCD projector for my classroom so I can do my PowerPoints. I have an Overhead Projector so I'm going back to doing overheads for notes for the time being. It's not very productive or creative but it will do for now.

The commute hasn't been too bad so far. It only takes me 35 minutes in the morning to get to school. The ride home is a different story. It takes me anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I'm very grateful that gas prices out here have gone down a ton! It's only $2.41 a gallon. I'm finding I like that drive home to decompress from my day. I'm getting up early - around 5:00 am to get ready for my school day so I'm trying to get to bed earlier and not stay up too late. One day this week, I actually went to bed at 8:00 pm because I was so exhausted and tired!

I'm also getting active already. They were looking for a class advisor for the Freshman class and I signed up for it. I do get paid a small stipend. I also signed up for a History Book Club through Salem State College and other area high schools. I get paid a small stipend for that too.

I'm still working at Paws - on Thursday after school, Saturdays, and I alternate every other Sunday. I may pick up another day during the week. I'm feeling out my schedule at school to see if I can handle anymore hours. I would like to go back to tutoring because it's great money and I like the one on one learning with the student.

Anyhoo, that's my general observations and thoughts from the past week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW... sounds like some good things and some bad... at least you sound positive overall, thats so great to hear...

Take time and work thru the negatives and things will get better... Some things you can't change, but you'd get that anywhere, right?

Anonymous said...

What a big difference huh? Your a great teacher, you'll make anything work.

Have you tried EBAY regarding LCD's? Maybe you can get a used one for cheap?

Anonymous said...

so you're back to the flintstone ages huh? thats too bad loo.. it will just take some time in adjusting, but you'll be ok. maybe they'll be able to get updated stuff sometime soon. thats pretty sad & not only does it hinder you, it hinders these kids from getting a better education.

you're creative so im sure you'll make things wonderful :)

hang in there loo