Saturday, September 09, 2006

Busy and exhausting week

I had two days of school this week. We are on block scheduling so I met three of my classes on Thursday (one block was for planning) and two of my classes on Friday (the other two blocks on Friday were a duty and a common planning block with my freshman team members). We alternate days - Red and White Days. My honors classes are going to be fine. I have no major concerns with those kids. There are a few of kids that I question whether or not they should be in an Honors class but for the most part, they are pretty good kids. My college prep classes are a bit more of a concern. Two of the college preps, I have a SPED teacher and ELL teacher in the room with me because I have thirty kids in each of those classes. I need heavy support in those classes. Spanish is the prominent language for the ELL kids. I wanted diversity so I definitely got it! Overall, the kids are really nice. I haven't smiled a lot. I need to show them that I have the control of the classroom. I can always ease up in my classroom discipline. You can't go the other way - it's good to be tough now!

I've been trying to stay late and get my classroom somewhat organized and ready for the school year. I was told to not get to comfortable because after the holidays in December, all the freshman teams are being moved out to the modular classrooms (which are a nicer set-up). My current classroom has no windows, chalkboards instead of whiteboards, and the air quality is pretty stifling. I've already mentioned in a previous post that the technology is pretty much non-existent in this school. My previous school was die hard into technology so I feel like I've gone back in time about ten years. Email isn't even encouraged at this school so everything that is given to us is in paper format. It's such a waste of time and trees. Also, I have no LCD projector for my PowerPoints. I tried pricing them out but the cheapest I can find is one for $699! Way too much money for me to spend. I've been using my laptop (which still works). I bought it when I was working at Timberlane since they had no computers for teachers. I pretty much stopped using the laptop once I got to Newburyport.

Here are a few pictures of what my room looks like at this point:

I don't like my desks in rows (unless for testing) so I tend to change the desks quite a bit. Currently, they are in a semi-circle for discussions. I had to squish thirty desks in to a small space so I could have enough desks for all my classes.

This is my area -desk, personal stuff, filing cabinet, etc.

I currently have 120 students on my classload. The numbers may change a bit the next week - either up or down. I'm hoping down! That's a lot of correcting to get done! I haven't had this high of classload since my Timberlane days. I guess I got spoiled at my last teaching job! :-)

I just wanted to check in - as mentioned before, I will not have a ton of time this first month to blog so I thought I would just give a quick post to let everyone know that I'm surviving the school year so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Sounds like you really have your hands full... I know even though its a REAL challenge... you are definitely the person for the job. Just take it one step at a time and keep breathing...

Anonymous said...

My M-dawg is so busy already! These kids will be lucky to have you :) I wish you a very successful year.

Anonymous said...

Jeepers creepers Batman - you have a full load! It'll take some time, but im sure you'll adjust well.

Thats sad about the technology, for you & for the kids. I didnt realize Salem would be so far behind in things like that.

You're going to do well though. Can just feel it. Thats smart of you to show whos boss before silly mdawg comes out :)

Try to hang in there kiddo! You'll get thru it just fine.