Sunday, September 24, 2006

Banned Book Week - Sept 23-30


Banned Book Week is September 23rd-30th this year.

The following is the top ten list:
*“It's Perfectly Normal” for homosexuality, nudity, sex education, religious viewpoint, abortion and being unsuited to age group;
*“Forever” by Judy Blume for sexual content and offensive language;
*“The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger for sexual content, offensive language and being unsuited to age group;
*“The Chocolate War” by Robert Cormier for sexual content and offensive language;
*“Whale Talk” by Chris Crutcher for racism and offensive language;
*“Detour for Emmy” by Marilyn Reynolds for sexual content;
*“What My Mother Doesn't Know” by Sonya Sones for sexual content and being unsuited to age group;
*Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey for anti-family content, being unsuited to age group and violence
*“Crazy Lady!” by Jane Leslie Conly for offensive language; and
*“It's So Amazing! A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families” by Robie H. Harris for sex education and sexual content.

Off the list this year, but on for several years past, are the Alice series of books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain.

As an avid reader, censorship annoys me. I've read six out of the ten books from the above list. I think some of these radical groups need to get a life! Reading is important! Let's not discourage a kid from reading anything!

I'm in two Book Clubs - one is a group of teachers from my previous school and the second is a History Book Club through Salem State College.

I read for enjoyment. I've always been a huge reader. Growing up, it was tough to get me to stop reading a book. I love to read before I go to bed. So, I really don't get these folks out there that censor books.

Do me a favor - go to your local library or book store and read ONE of the books on the list from above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, judy blume? I use to love reading her when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

banning books is just crazy... with all the other things in the world those "people" could spend their time on...

i can't wait til my son is old enough to read... so we can SHARE all kinds of books!

Anonymous said...

mmm i'll have to keep this list of books in mind :)

Anonymous said...

We love books in this house. I've read to my boys for as long as I can remember...I swear it's why they do so well in school now. As a matter of fact, Corey informed me just today that he joined a book club at school. I'm impressed!
I so totally disagree with the banned book thing. If it offends you - DON'T READ IT! DUH!
I agree with traci - there are way more important issues to be resolved than wasting time creating a banned book list.