Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm going crazy! :-)

I'm doing it again.

You know. The "I can't say no to anyone" thing. Overcommitting to stuff at school.

Let me explain. Yesterday, all I wanted to do was watch a volleyball game at my school. The assistant coach asked me, "How well do you remember the rules of volleyball?" My reply, "I'm a little rusty, why?" "Can you ref our game today?" Instead of saying NO! I said YES! Duh! I have to say that I got a free lunch out of it today (There is no money for paying the refs so it's strictly volunteer - the assistant coach bought me lunch to thank me for helping her out).

Oh, the Harvard Model Congress is looking for a co-advisor. You want to help me M-Dawg? Sure! At least it's a paid stipend position - I get to split $443 with the other advisor. And, I'm still sophomore class advisor too.

Oh, you want to bring the faculty at your school together and bond? Sure! Be in charge of the Social Committee!

Oh, we need a teacher to host the German teachers for the GAPP program for three weeks . . . are ya interested???? Maybe?????

And the final Oh - organize a baby shower for one of your colleagues!

I swear to God I have the word, "Sucker!" tattooed on my forehead!

I guess I should point out that we are STILL without a contract and there is no end in sight for settling! Joy!

How do you say no to things in your life???? Please leave comments!!! :-)

Oh, on a positive and totally unrelated note: I bought the new Matchbox 20 CD today! Wow! Love it! Target has it on sale for a limited time for $9.98!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter what anyone tells you... you are just one of those people that will do whatever you can to help. It doesn't mean Sucker... It does mean tired, overwhelmed, run-ragged...

You made the first step in taking alittle more care of yourself when you ended your part time job... Don't forget about how nice it was those first days when you had some time to rest and time to do things for yourself!!!!

Everyone needs limits... you need to set a goal... like only 3 out of school things...

Anonymous said...

kid - what are you doing? JUST SAY NO !

Repeat after me "SORRY, I WOULD REALLY LOOOOVE TO, BUT I CANT"

Its ok to say yes to something but you sound like you've already over commited yourself.

and no that does not mean you're a sucker - it means you are too nice of a person who wants to help.

Just dont want to see you be bombarded & exhausted & missing out on some MDawg relax time with Miss Ellie the Cat.

Now what are you going to say when someone asks you for something els?
Repeat after me......(same as above) : )

You are too good of a person.. please dont get yourself over loaded.

Anonymous said...

Me and you both. We need to stop over committing ourselves...it's too much stress. This will be our new years resolution...but an early one!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else ... I was doing too much 'yes' and not enough 'sorry' myself and everytime I got overwhelmed & exhausted, my ever so loving husband would say 'Told ya so!'. It gets easier to say 'sorry, I can't' as you go and the 'guilt' of saying no lessens each time. Because you just need to keep in the back of your head how tired & miserable you will be if overwhelmed. Plus, I'm sure that your overwhelming lifestyle is why you get sick so much. Take care of YOU first. Life sure is easier when it's not overwhelming and chaotic! Remember that it's your life and you only get to live it once so make the best of it!

Robyn J said...

Didn't Nancy teach us to Just Say No!! I was like you. Then I quit. I've learned to draw the line in my new position. It was difficult but I just can't do everything and be everywhere, and neither can you. Easier said than done but just one little no makes it easier to say it the next time. You can decline graciously but decline all the same.