Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Update: M-Dawg is "hanging"

Had an emergency faculty meeting on Monday and received a memo from the Superintendent in our mailbox.

There are going to be 20 teachers cut from my building alone. I can't even begin to describe the sense of stress, emotions, and resentment that filled that auditorium. The atmosphere in my building is horrible right now. I need to point out that it's not that positive to begin with so it's even worse now.

We were informed today that the positions cut are now down to 11 teachers. At last nights school committee meeting, the city was able to "find" some money to reduce the number to 11 instead of 20. There are going to be over 100 total positions cut city wide (includes secretaries, aides, custodians, and teachers).

Those folks being cut will be called out of their classes on Friday to be told the icky news. They (the administration) expects us to work two more weeks (gotta give those midterm exams and complete grades before they shit can your ass) and it's done. No more teaching.

The word has spread to the kids. They are upset too. So now I'm dealing with their emotions as well as my own. Joy!

Those that remain behind are left to the horrible task of having increased class sizes (in most cases over the 30 mark which violates contract) and dealing with angry students and parents of why their child had to switch teachers and schedule changes mid-year. Double Joy!

Life just sometimes sucks! :-(

Please be thinking happy vibes for myself and my fellow colleagues this week. It's been a rough week and we are trying to hang in there but it's really tough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry...How can this happen?

That's a little bit of good news that almost half the teachers that were originally going to be cut has their job saved. I hope you are one of them!

I will def keep happy thoughts for you..of course! You are in my prayers every day.

super hero said...

i wish good luck for you.

Anonymous said...

hang in there... whatever happens is out of your control... just wait and hear what they have to say and then try and figure out the best way to deal with it. remember, we are here whenever you need us...

Robyn J said...

I'll be keeping you in my prayers. School systems in New England suck!!

Anonymous said...

loo- wishing you lots of luck to get through this ordeal. its such a terrible thing. mid year too doesnt help either.

wishing good things for you loo.