Friday, January 25, 2008

The summary of Midterm Exam week for M-Dawg . . .

I had a busy yet productive midterm exam week:

*Had Monday off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I cleaned and did some school work. I met a friend in Portsmouth for dinner.

*I didn't have exams the first two days. However, I was in a cleaning frenzy! I cleaned the whiteboards, desks, and swept the classroom floor. The custodians don't sweep my classroom. They empty the garbage cans (if I'm lucky). Everyone commented on how clean my room smelled and they could smell down the Hall. Good. It's better than the alternative! :-)

*Starting on Monday, I'll be teaching two sections of a new class called Current World Affairs. I co-wrote the curriculum over the summer with a colleague. I'm so pumped about teaching this class! Her and I met for three hours on one of the days to start planning and organizing the first week of the class. My numbers are high right now due to the teacher cuts.

*Corrected the Final Projects for my local history elective class. Some of the kids did an amazing job! One of my seniors made a model of one of the historical homes - the detail in the architectural features is amazing! Another student designed a Monopoly board game using all local street names, houses, and historical information. Cool stuff.

*We have no formal curriculum for the 9th grade World Studies class that I teach. It's frustrating but we all do our own thing right now. So, I typed out unit objectives and essential questions for each unit for the rest of the school year. At some point, we will have to write the curriculum so I figured that I might as well get a head start on it. Currently, I use the curriculum from my previous schools and align everything with the state frameworks.

*Midterm exams were given at the end of my week. My college prep kids tanked the exam. They didn't study at all for their exam. I gave them a study guide and told them to take it seriously. My Honors did alright overall. Looks like I will have high failure rates again for 2nd quarter. Ugh! :-(

*My co-advisor and I met with our class officers to start organizing their Sophomore Social. The kids seem to be under the impression that they can do everything at the last minute (Ex: book a DJ, get paperwork signed for approval, decorations, food, etc). They are in for a rude awakening . . .

*The Freshman House teachers met to discuss the grading policy. We had a huge debate about whether or not we should type in a letter grade (F) for those students that fail or enter a numerical grade (25%) on their report cards. All of the other grades are entered in as numerical. But, the idea of the F thing is to encourage kids to not give up and that they still have a chance to pass for the year. I believe in giving the numerical grade - I already give the kids a printout of their grades (I use GradeKeeper for calculating grades) so they know their "real" grade. Right now, only the Freshman House is going the "F" thing. We shall see if it works . . . .

*I would like to send my sympathy to my friend and her family. I attended the wake on Thursday evening of her father. Sending ya lots of hugs and love.

*Today after school, a few members of my dept and I went out for coffee at this cool cafe. We relaxed and chatted for a few hours.

So, it was a productive week overall. Exhausting. I have Saturday off from Paws so I will hang out at Starbucks to finish up correcting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Weekend! I hope you don't work too hard at Paws this weekend :) and all that corrected you have to do too!

Anonymous said...

It sounds great to hear your excitement about the new class... ENJOY... its about tiime for you to feel that way again... Anyway, take more time for yourself... glad to hear that you had a coffee break with some other teachers... no one knows what you are going thru better than them...

TAKE CARE & KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH!!!