Sunday, January 20, 2008

I needed this at a time when all was icky in the world!

During the week of the cuts at my school, I received an invitation from a student to attend her National Honor Society Induction Ceremony (students pick one teacher to invite that has made a difference or impact in their life). I had this student last year in my US History Honors class. In the inside of the invitation, this is what she wrote (names have been changed to protect the innocent):

"Dear M-Dawg:
I would like to thank you for your immense effort in helping me academically in the past year or so by inviting you to my National Honors Society Induction Ceremony. In US History Honors, you helped me to enjoy and value history more deeply and I am grateful for all that I have taken with me into my junior year from that class. I enjoyed the Civil War Scrapbook project that we did and the current events at the beginning of class. These, among other aspects of our class, made me see history in a new light, as one of my favorite subjects. I am also appreciative of the fact that you challenged and encouraged me to take AP US History. I am benefiting greatly from that class. I look forward to our Harvard Model Congress trip and having you as a teacher for Current World Affairs in the 2nd semester. You are a kindhearted, down to earth teacher who knows how to make students feel welcome. I feel that you have made an influential contribution to my academic excellence and getting me to where I am today. Sincerely, M-Dawg's Student"

Words can't even begin to describe how I felt when I read this note. I received it at a time when all was dark in my world and I thought I might lose my job. I was very emotional all week because none of us knew if we were going to be cut.

I've received a few of these kind of notes in my nine years of teaching. As educators, we don't get this type of recognition very often. There are so many times when I want to give up teaching because I feel ungrateful and underpaid. And then ya get one of these notes or emails. Brings tears to my eyes!

I just received a nice payment in that note - it may not be monetary but it's the payment to know that I made a difference in a life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a nice letter :) It must make you seem so proud!

I may not have been one of your students (wish you were when I was in school)but from stories you tell me..and your dedication to these kids make you an amazing teacher. These kids are so lucky to have a fantastic teacher as you. Not many teachers are like this and they should be more like you.

YOU SHOULD be recognized for all your hard work and appreciated more!

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW... I am so not surprized though... I know what kind of teacher and educator that you are... But it had to be SO NICE to finally get a little pat on the back? I hope you know that there are more kids that you have helped... they just don't all know how to express their thanks.

ENJOY that great feeling... and try and remember that on those tough days...

EHT said...

It does seem like those types of things happen when you need them the most. I have a folder I keep on my desk and all of the emails or notes I receive like the one you got go into it. There are days when I'm glad it's there to remind me why I do what I do. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Lori! You DID need that! How nice of her to write such kind words and also to invite you and give you some credit towards her high honor! Whenever you are down about the politics of the education system, just remember the great impact you make on the young kids that really want to learn. See...you REALLY ARE THE GREATEST!

LOVE YA!