Saturday, March 17, 2007

What is M-Dawg reading these days????

I am a book addict/junky. I read everything and anything. I also have this nasty habit of reading two or three books at a time. The habit developed when I was in graduate school. Bad M-Dawg! :-)

I'm reading the following books:

1) Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol. You want to get angry and upset about the conditions of our inner city schools, just read this book! It was written in 1991 but I have this sneaky suspicion that the condition of our inner city schools in America still hasn't changed much since the publishing of this book. Since I work in an inner city school, I thought I could relate to this book. I definitely could relate to the lack of funding, not paying teachers very well, and the high drop out rates. The book addresses six different inner city school systems in this country. Very intriguing and eye-opening read! I hope our politicians have read this book - maybe they would realize that something needs to be done about the education of millions of innocent children!

2) A Year in the World by Frances Mayes (she wrote Under the Tuscan Sun - yes, this book was made into a movie starring Diane Lane). I'm a traveler at heart! I adore traveling. Since traveling costs a ton of money that I don't usually have at the time, I sometimes will read books about other travelers and their experiences. The author decides to take a year off from her job and the real world and travel around Europe and Northern Africa. The author has a unique writing style that I enjoy immensely. As I read this book, I visualize myself in the locations that she's writing about - Spain, Greece, Turkey, etc. It's an amazing journey!

3) The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (I've already read this but I'm re-reading it for my Book Club). The book discusses the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the murder and intrigue that took place. I like the book because it addresses a part of Chicago history that tends to get ignored - the history about Chicago tends to address the gangsters and Al Capone. :-) And, Larson does a great job at writing the book to make it not sound so much like a history text.

What are you reading/have read lately in your free time?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow... I don't know where you find the time to read three books and do EVERYTHING else you have going on...

You are a trooper!

Anonymous said...

those books sound interesting mdawg. and yes - where do you find the time !?!? ! :)

im currently reading "deep freeze" for the 2nd time. i cant remember who the killer is, so hopefully it will still be a surprise as the ends comes near ;)

ordered a new book off of amazon today - god on a harley. andrea says this book changed her life in the way she thinks about love & relationships. also ordered the cd "the secret" i firmly believe in positive thinking & erin & i have kept going back & forth on this. i really shouldnt spend the $ but seeing how i need to make some changes in my life - thought these 2 things might be helpful & inspiring.

Alyssa said...

All of those sound really interesting. You should try this book by Barbara Ehrenreich titled "Nickel and Dimed." Its a true story about a woman who decides she is going to see how the lower class poverty lives on minimum wage. She gets odd jobs at restuarants and stores and lives on minimum wage. Its really good and it gives you an insight into millions of Americans lives day afer day, year after year. Check it out if you haven't read it already.

Anonymous said...

Free Time????? I used to love to read but that was before children. Unless you count what I read to the children. Right now it's 'Harry Potter and The Order of Phoenix'. Yes, I know we're a little behind. I was half way through it the summer of 05 so I had to start over. But if you like Harry Potter (we do), it's a good book!