Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Professional Day in Boston

Today, I drove into Boston to attend The Bill of Rights Institute Seminar on the 1st amendment. The official name of the seminar was Conflict and Continuity: The Story of American Freedom. Very intriguing! Got lots of free curriculum and teaching ideas . . . which is always a good thing.

The seminar was held here. Let me tell ya, this is how the real folks live and work! Very fancy place -

One of my colleagues from my department attended the seminar with me. There were also a two middle school teachers from my district there. We sat and chatted and compared notes about students and curriculum.

I have to say that I'm exhausted from sitting there and listening to speakers all day. I took a ton of notes that I hope to be able to use in my lectures. I hate to admit it but I'm so used to being on my feet and walking around the classroom that my butt fell asleep at the end of the seminar. :-)

Oh, they also fed us some great food! And, the grand price of this trip for me: gas and parking. That's it!

It was so nice to be treated as professionals. Unfortunately, as teachers, we don't always get treated with respect.

3 comments:

Lauren & Rich said...

I'm glad the day went well for you and what a beautiful day to spend in Boston :)

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a very nice day mdawg :)

glad you enjoyed it.

Karen Janowski said...

M-dawg,
Read your post on Andrew Pass' blog about how you emphasize Current Events every day. I'd love to talk with you about this but couldn't find a way to email you. Can you email me at karen.janowski@gmail.com?
Thanks - I look forward to speaking with you.