Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Middle Ages Projects are due tomorrow!

So, my students have been working on a Middle Ages Project since the middle of November. The project is due on Thursday and Friday (depending on if it's a Red or White day - we are on block scheduling). Plus, I'm giving them a quiz on the Middle Ages. Yes, I'm aware that I'm being tough by giving them a project and a quiz right before vacation! :-)

The kids had a choice of seven possible projects: Disease Journal, Cook book of Recipes of Middle Ages, Comic Strip, perform live or do a video of the day in the life of a peasant, castle model, Baseball trading cards of Middle Ages people, and a picture book. There is more to this project but this is the Cliff Note version. They also have to have a two-page paper (typed, 12 point font, double space) paper to accompany the project. And, they have to have a bibliography (MLA format, of course). Students had the choice to work individually, with a partner, or in a group of three. They also have to present their project to their classes on the due date.

The kids have been procrastinating on the project - I know it! I took them down to the library the past few days for some research time and computer use. I got the vibe that most of them don't have everything completed at this point. I've already been getting the questions: "Can I turn the project in late?" Yes, but you lose a letter grade for every day you don't turn the project into me. After three days, don't bother turning the project into me. "Can I turn in the project and not the required paper?" I don't suggest it since the project is worth 80 points and the paper is worth 20 points - you are assuming that you will get the full 80 points on the project. Those 80 points are NOT free! I'm already getting drama about how "certain" groups or partners are not "playing well with others" (not doing any work and dumping all the work on one person in the group). I warned them in the beginning to choose their partner or group carefully since it's going to be their grade impacted by doing or not doing the project.

Once the drama ends, here's hoping for a good, quality product turned in the next few days. I'll take pictures of the projects and post them at a later date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... sounds like alot going on... but you are nice enough to give them options... at least that way "anyone" can find a way to do something that fits them better... And hey, its way better to have it handed in BEFORE a vacation... rather than the teachers I had that wanted you to work on something when you were ON vacation... Best Wishes... I hope you get some good work handed in...