Saturday, December 09, 2006

AFT Challenge

On the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) blog, they are encouraging educators to post a picture of their classrooms and describe what their classroom and school environment is like on a daily basis. You can read the post here.

This is what my classroom looks like right now.

My school is currently under construction. Everything is covered in dust. We hear drills and hammering all day long due to the work that is being done in my area of the building. The goal is to renovate the entire building inside and outside. There are no computers in the classroom - I usually bring my laptop into school everyday. Internet is limited in the building. I was spoiled at my previous school with all the technology in the world. At this school, they don't even encourage the use of email! After the construction, supposedly all classrooms will have internet. Yet, they can't even guanarntee that the teachers will get a computer for thier own desk. My classroom does not have heat - in fact, since the beginning of November, the A/C has been on in my room. Everyday, I submit a form to the building and grounds dept. to report the freezer that is my classroom. The temps range from 48-55 degrees. I'm being moved over the Christmas break into the modulars so I've been told that heating my classroom is not a priority. Meanwhile, my students and I wear our winter coats, hats, and mittens in the classroom.

The lights flicker on and off throughout the day. I'm on the top floor (4th floor) so my classroom ceiling also leaks when it rains. As you can see from the photo above, the lights were flickering off when I took the picture.

When I move into the modulars in January, I will have heat in the winter and A/C in the warmer months. I will also have whiteboards and NOT chalkboards (I'm not a huge fan of chalkboards - the chalk dries my hands out terribly).

I've been contemplating about investing in a LCD projector so I can do my PowerPoints. I'm currently using an overhead projector and spend my own money on the overheads. Long term, it's probably cheaper for me to invest in the LCD projector. I spend anywhere between $1000-$1500 of my own money on school supplies per school year. I'm not reimbursed any of that money from my school. And, Congress didn't renew the tax break ( The Teacher Tax Relief Act of 2001) for teachers (it was only $250 a year but every little bit helps) so now I can't even deduct my school expenses. :-(

A list of "stuff" in my classroom that I've purchased with my own money:

*Boom box - I play music when I teach different units. I also like to listen to the radio after school when I'm correcting and getting work done in my classroom. I also buy music that relates to a lot of units in World History or US History. For example, I played the SchoolHouse Rock songs, I'm just a bill and The Preamble when I taught the Constitution Unit in my US History class.

*Book Shelf - I place my personal book collection on the shelf. I also have a shelf for books that kids can check out or borrow from me.

*Books - most of the teaching materials I have in my possession, I've bought with my own money.

*Pencil sharpener - I guess my school doesn't think it's necessary for kids to sharpen their pencils for taking my notes or tests?????

*I always keep a supply of general school supplies such as pencils, pens, folders, binders, etc. I teach in a low socio-economic community so sometimes these kids have no money to purchase supplies. I also keep some granola bars and other muchy food in my filing cabinet for those kids that didn't eat breakfast.

*My digital camera - I'm always taking pictures of the kids while they are working on projects and activities. I also use some of the pictures in my lectures or PowerPoints.

*Posters - I have inspirational posters around my classroom to encourage the kids to work hard and about positive attitudes and learning.

*DVD's and video collection - any movies that will help out with my teaching, I usually purchase them. For example, while teaching the Middle Ages, I'll show my students Monty Python and the Holy Grail or A Knights Tale (the opening clip to show knights and jousting).

This list could go on and on - but, I think you get the point. Let's hope that our government (and the public) gets the point that there are a lot of teachers out there that are GOOD teachers that really are invested (emotionally and economically) on our youth. And, our working conditions need to change. Some schools in this country are literally falling apart and nothing is being down about it. Advocate that our legislature do the right thing for the youth of America - they are our future!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Lori! How the heck do they expect the students to do well when it's freezing cold & there's a bunch of noise all day long!? If I were a parent there, I'd be doing some big time compaining about the study conditions for the students. It really makes me happy that my kids are where they are. I love our teachers and the entire school system. It's the best that my kids have been in. I just never realized that a good school was so hard to find! Sounds like there are more bad than good. That's sad! No wonder the whole world is falling apart around us!

Anonymous said...

WOW... All those times I thought that you were a great teacher and put up with alot of crud... then you explain just how nasty some situations are... it just goes to show just how great and strong a person you are... and you deserve a medal for making it thru and still helping children/young adults... YOU ARE THE BEST!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...you poor thing!

Anonymous said...

hey Ms. M,
It was good seeing you at Paws a few weeks ago... too bad we didnt have more time to catch up! This post really reminded me of our time at Timberlane. How everyday we were freezing and how we got a whole week of school off because everyone got sick. I dont think schools should be allowed to renovate while people are in the building, because it never seems to work out right! Im just glad you will get a new room very soon so you will no longer have to wear your coats! Maybe sometime after xmas we can catch up cuz I definitely miss you!! Love ya and have a great holiday with your family!!

Love,
Katie

dan said...

It's amazing that the communities of these schools stand for this. If my children were in a classroom like this (or some of the others mentioned), I would change schools. If there were no other options, I would pay for a private school (a last resort). The learning environment is so important.

Good luck and stay warm!!!!