Friday, May 19, 2006

Would a school just hire me already?????

Yes . . . it's been very frustrating. Finding a job is never any fun. I spend all my Sunday's going through The Boston Globe looking for teaching jobs. I then have to put together the famous packet of teaching materials: cover letter, resume, copies of three recommendation letters, copy of my certification, copies of all college transcripts, and sometimes, schools want me to provide evidence that I'm "Highly Qualified" (This is a No Child Left Behind requirement). On Monday, I'm off to the Post Office to mail these huge envelopes off to the various schools that I'm applying for a teaching job. Postage is adding up! I'm keeping all my receipts - I was told that I could write off looking for a job on my taxes next year. Joy!

Update on Interviews:
*Had my third interview at Londonderry High School in NH with the Principal. It went very well! I will find out next week if they will offer me the job. Remember, I would take a huge cut in pay if I take this position.
*I have an interview at The Bromfield School in Harvard, MA on Wednesday. This school usually scores very high on the MCAS (They usually score in the top five in the state) so the academic standards are quite high. It's also an affluent community.
*I have an interview at Ayer High School in Ayer, MA on Friday. Ayer is located out near Fitchburg where I went to Graduate school.
*Dartmouth High School wants to interview me on Wednesday but I have the other interview on that day. I'm going to try and ask if Dartmouth could interview me in the morning. Dartmouth is located south of Boston so I need to allow enough time for traveling.
*Salem Academy Charter School in Salem, MA also wants to interview me - they do a phone interview first for about 30 minutes and then decide from there if they want to bring you in to meet with the hiring team.

So, as you can all see, I've got a lot going on right now. Finding a job is like a second job. Everyday, I check the MA Dept of Education web site, EdJobsNH.com, regional high school web sites for job postings, etc. It's crazy!

Happy Job Hunting! :-)

5 comments:

Robyn J said...

Wow - looks like you have a lot of leads. That is very good...keeps you busy...but good. I'll know by next week about Concord. I don't think it's an ideal situation but I'd consider it. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Your a busy gal! Keeping my finger, toes, legs and whatever else I have for ya! I know something will pan out for ya :)

Anonymous said...

Well... interviewing always sucks, but at least you have a few things going on... It never seems like teachers around here have that many places to even apply... I hope decisions get made soon... That way you can enjoy some of the last days with your "kids" this year and the summer too...

Anonymous said...

Lori, that is so awesome that you are getting such a good response to your applications! Betcha get to choose from several offers cuz you're such a valuable teacher & they will see that! We're hoping for the best for you!

Anonymous said...

thats great that you have so many interviews going on loo - something should definilty pan out for you.

if you get offered the one that would be a huge cut in pay, hopefully you will have time to give them your decision in case something better pops along.

wishing you tons & tons of luck!