Saturday, August 23, 2008

Started volleyball on Thursday . . . . bump, set, spike!

Started volleyball on Thursday. I'm the JV coach - my school started a volleyball program last year and they decided to build up the program by establishing a JV team this year. I was asked by the varsity coach since I used to play and coach. And, yes - it's a stipend position. :-)

It's been an interesting transition to be helping out with a program that is only in its second year compared to my 1st school that had an established program for over 30 years. We have a lot of work to do with the program.

We only had two freshman and three sophomores come out for the team. We have a total of 18 girls. Some girls will end up swinging between JV and varsity due to the fact we have small numbers for JV.

We started pre-season with double sessions (2 three hour practices). I've been trying to get into better shape over the summer to prepare myself physically for coaching again. I can't do the hands-on stuff like drills because of my shoulder. It's killing me to not spike that ball!!!! :-(

For pre-season, we've had to use the facilities at the local college since our high school gym is in construction until the end of September. College facilities are SO MUCH nicer than our facilities at the high school. Once school starts on September 2nd, our practices will be at one of the elementary schools. All our games for the month of September will be away.

We have a scrimmage next Friday against our rival school. The girls are VERY excited about it but I'm a little nervous. It's been so long since I've coached volleyball. I'm hoping to get into the swing of things soon. The varsity coach has been great. And, a lot of rules have changed since I've coached (I coached volleyball for four years in NH). It should be an interesting season to say the least!

Bump, set, spike!

3 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Volleyball is the ONLY ball sport that I enjoy, so I can kind of envy you for getting this gig. Whip that team into shape!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with it...And becareful of your shoulder...and don't over due it.

I was never any good at Volleyball :(

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun. Good luck, and I hope your team wins a lot of games.