Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Almost time to go back to school . . .

As I logged into my blog this morning, I looked over at my counter and realized that I have only seven days left until the first day of school. My goodness! Where did the summer go?

Since I've been coaching volleyball since last week, I've been able to have a little time getting my classroom ready (we've had double sessions so I usually have a two hour break in between practices to get stuff done). However, yesterday the workers started waxing the floors in the halls so I couldn't get into my room. I have a ton of boxes to unpack. The head guy of building and grounds (major control freak) refuses to give us (the teachers) our keys until the 1st official day of school so I can't get into my own desk or cabinets to organize them. Plus, the building is still in construction so they are hoping to finish everything up over the Labor Day weekend (I'll be VERY surprised if it happens). You can't use the main entrance of the school so it's a huge walk around the building to get into the building. I have a ton of stuff that needs to come back to school but I'm waiting until I can carry it through the front entrance. And, the poor custodians and construction guys . . . the elevator broke the other day so they've been having to carry heavy furniture up and down the stairs! They seriously don't get paid enough . . . .

This year, we only have one professional day until we get the kids. So, that means only one day to get everything ready if a teacher doesn't come in this week to get their room and office ready. I don't want to complain too much about the loss of a PD Day since I've been reading a lot of horror stories of other teachers across the country that have already started school and had to sit through pointless and waste of time type of meetings. Our union voted in a horrible contract last year and one of the "bonuses" was one less PD Day. Now, I'm hearing the teachers that voted that contract in complain about how little time they have to get their rooms ready! Did they not THINK about this when they were voting????? Duh! All they saw was one day off from school. Ugh.

The PD Day focus: all the new technology in the building. All the classrooms now have a LCD projector installed from the ceiling and a new MAC computer for the teachers. We are going to be doing attendance online now too. The faculty needs training on the technology. The majority of our faculty doesn't use any form of technology so it will be interesting to see how that PD Day works out. We also have three new computer labs (30 new MACS with LCD projector and SMART boards). A faculty of 160 - only 20 uses various forms of technology in our classes. Scary thought in 2008! Three years ago, I came from a school that did everything technology so I felt like I was going backwards in time by working at this school. I ended up going out and buying a lot of my own stuff (Ex: LCD Projector).

So my homework the past week: I've been trying to update and change the homework blogs for the kids and organized my curriculum binders. I need to work on my syllabus for my two courses (World History and the local History class). I already have a rough idea of the first two days of school - it tends to be all the administrative paperwork and getting to know you stuff anyway. A working photocopier would be nice so I can start copying stuff.

I think I'll feel better once my classroom is ready. With coaching volleyball this year, I won't have all the time like I normally would to set everything up.

I love my job . . . . I love my school . . . . . keep repeating until next June! :-)

3 comments:

Robyn J said...

ah, the first day of school...i do feel your pain of not being able to get into your room early. i remember going in much earlier than we were contracted to have everything just right. i miss not going back to school! that is awesome about the computers - that is exactly how i felt going to timberlane after having taught in pa. wow, like going back to the stoneages! we got new computers every year, some hadn't even been hooked up when new ones were arriving. wasteful, we just had a really good grant writer i think. enjoy the new technology!

Anonymous said...

finally alittle bit of technology... you are going to go into shock... i know what you mean about needing time to set things up... but at least you've had practice and an idea of how you like things...

enjoy your last few days of no classes... i'd say of vacation... but between the part time headache and now volleyball you've never really had a vacation

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's that time again! Where has the summer gone...or did we even have one?

Hopefully it will be a better school year for you and less drama...keep thinking positive thoughts m-dawg!!