Thursday, March 27, 2008

Job Fair, Dr. Appt, and went to Jail! All in one week!

Just an update of the week:

*Went to a Job Fair at the 1st high school I ever taught at on Tuesday night. I'm applying for the social studies position. One of the guys in the dept is retiring this year. Teaching in NH is sorta a mixed bag - it would provide stability for me which would be a welcomed change in my professional life. But the pay and retirement isn't that great. The guy that interviewed me is best friends with my current Principal. Oops! I wasn't planning on telling my current school that I was going to be looking for next year but due to all the drama that happened in Jan with the budget cuts, I decided that I would look for another job. My Principal received a phone call that evening from the guy at my 1st school that interviewed me. Joy! Where is the professionalism? Anyway, I guess the cat is out of the bag. The administration knows that I need to do what is best for ME. They said they don't want me to leave but they understand how unstable the school system is right now. And, my mortgage won't get paid on loyalty, I'll tell ya that much! :-(

*Had a Dr's appt on Wednesday. He finally decided to get the MRI done on the rotator cuff and make an appt with an orthopedic surgeon. It looks like surgery may be the way to go - ugh! The Dr's office called me today to say that my insurance company is being a pain about the MRI. They are questioning whether the MRI is "necessary" - nice! I'll update when I find out more info.

*Wednesday evening, I met my friend Aileen and we saw Juno here. Excellent movie! Check it out if you get a chance!

*Took my students to Middleton Jail today (Thursday) for a Scared Straight program. It was a huge eye-opening experience for me personally. It really got me to think about some of the choices I've made in life. It was a powerful program and I got the impression from most of my kids that the point hit home for them. The prison guards and prisoners stressed the role of family and teachers in their lives. And, that alcohol and drugs can really mess up your life and you could end up in prison. Middleton is a maximum security jail so it was pretty intense. I really hope the kids learned some important lessons as well.

Exciting plans for the weekend:
*Work at Paws on Saturday and Sunday.
*Correct student projects since grades close next Friday for 3rd quarter - where has the time flown by? One more quarter to go peeps! :-)

What are you doing this weekend??????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your current school is supportive when it comes to your career. You need to do what's best for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

I hope you don't need surgery...but if it's gonna make you better than do what you have to.

I've been wanting to see Juno...tell Aileen I said Hi, and bring her to the candle party in May if she's free...I would love to see her :)

Don't work too hard this weekend. Make sure you take time for ya self!