Saturday, March 08, 2008

Personal Day on Friday and plans for the weekend

A much need personal day was in the plan for me on Friday. I hadn't had a day off since the Wednesday of Feb break. For the most part, the day was rather relaxing. I slept in which is a HUGE deal for me. I had a doctor's appt in the early afternoon to check my rotator cuff. Since I've been doing physical therapy, my shoulder is doing much better. My Dr. wants to see me again in three weeks and to continue with the PT. The last appt for the day was PT. My PT has been using ultrasound and exercises to help the shoulder. This visit she tried this electric shock treatment with an ice pack on the shoulder. It felt weird but good. And, I have special exercises that I'm supposed to do at home to help the process. That's the update on the shoulder situation.
I also started the online application process for a job at my first high school that I taught and made an appointment for an interview at their job fair on March 25th on Friday. The application online took me hours to complete. The school is in NH and I'm sorta mixed on whether or not going back is a good idea. The commute is less which is good for my car and gasoline prices. It's good in the sense that NH provides stability - they don't do the budget cut thing or lay people off. I really need financial stability since I have a mortgage to pay. The negative is the pay and the retirement system. NH pay is less and the retirement is crap. Another plus is the health insurance (district pays 90% and employee pays 10%). This school system would acknowledge all my time in education so I could start at a step 10 (10 years teaching and they would recognize my 30 credits above the Masters which MA schools are not doing right now). To compensate the lose of income I could get involved in other activities to raise my salary to where it would be now. Although there are no guarantees of a job, the Principal and Assistant Principals told me they really want me back. I left there on a positive note back in 2003. This school had a lot of issues but I'm beginning to realize what school doesn't have issues. There is no such thing as a perfect environment and I just need to suck it up and deal. Lots of decisions! I'll update later.
I need to point out too that I will only looking for jobs in the area that I'm living in right now. I don't want the hellish commute that I currently have now so if a school is looking for someone in my area, I will apply. Otherwise, I'm staying at my current school. The financial stability at my current school is not good right now anyway so who knows if they will be letting me go?
An update on the condo parking space situation: I might have to go see a lawyer. What the association did might be against the law so I need to have a lawyer read/translate my documents. I have a deeded parking space which means there are marked documents at the courthouse that states that I own that parking space. My head teacher of my dept at school was a former lawyer so he said he would look at the papers for me. He said that if he can't help me, he could refer me to a good lawyer that could help me. And, another teacher at my school is on the board of her condo association and she said she might be able to help too. So that's the update so far on my parking space.
The plans for the weekend include:
*Today (Saturday), I have High Tea at the Concord Colonial Inn with Delta Kappa Gamma. My chapter and the chapter in Concord are having High Tea. Sounds very high class, doesn't it??? :-)
*We are supposed to get a ton of rain today - flooding type stuff. Let's cross our fingers that I don't have to build an ark!
*Working at Paws on Sunday. Hope to see lots of dogs! :-)
*School work. That never goes away! :-(
Any excitement in your lives?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lots of going ons in M-Dawg Land! If it's not one thing it's another. I know what you mean about looking for something closer to home. I don't think I will find something closer to me without taking a huge cut myself...your lucky you have this opportunity.

Good luck...and I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Robyn J said...

Wow! Are you thinking about re-entering the halls of good old TRHS?? I do miss teaching...are Mr. Leary and Woody still there? If so, let them know I send a very warm, "hello." I do hope it works out - I'm sure some familiarity will be nice if you do switch schools...nothing like starting over AGAIN. Good luck with the parking space.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I hope you survive the budget cuts in your state. I didn't, and I've already started applying to other districts. Job-hunting is one of the worst time-wasters I know--but necessary, unless I want to live under a bridge!

Anonymous said...

good luck with the new job status - i hope it all works out for you. you'll be able to make it work dont worry.

glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better. i do hope the pt keeps helping it improve so you are feeling your best! :)

the parking space thing sounds complicated! i hope that all works out for you mdawg. keep thinking positive things about it.

hang in there kiddo.