Saturday, June 03, 2006

Selective hearing?

Today I proctored SAT's at my school. It's an easy money maker to be honest. I sit there and make sure the little stinkers don't cheat or take pictures of the test with their cell phones (the latest security risk with the cell phones that have camera's) - all for the magic price of $95! I'm at school for about four hours so it's easy money. I usually bring my papers to correct while I'm proctoring. I've gotten behind in my correcting since I've been out interviewing for the past three weeks. I was extremely productive today!

So, I read from this script that the SAT folks give the proctors. It's basically directions and the what you are not supposed to do things during the test. At three points in the directions, I stated that ALL cell phones were to be turned off - not on vibe or volume turned down - OFF!!! And, they need to be kept away -either in a purse or bookbag or pants pocket. Out of sight, out of mind! Does this sound like brain surgery? Is this a complicated thing to hear or follow? Apparently not! Not less than twenty minutes into the test - guess what happens? You guessed it! A cell phone starts to ring! Everyone in the classroom turns around to look at the criminal - he states, "I didn't know we had to turn them off!" Before I could even say anything (code for rip the kids head off!), another student in the classroom says, "Dude, she like said it a million times to turn off all cell phones! Didn't you hear her? Are you an idiot?" At that point, all I could do was smile. The rest of the kids agreed by nodding their heads. He turns off his cell phone and I swipe it from him and I tell him that he can have it back after the test. Huh! I showed him! The little shit!

You've just read probably the best example of selective hearing that I could give you as a teacher. Gotta love teenagers! :-)

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

I know what your saying Ms. M. I proctor SATs at Andover with my brother. There are some pretty weird things that happen during SATs. I had one kid that we caught three seperate times going onto the next test. He got kicked out of the test for it. The whole time he was saying, "I was just looking, I wasn't marking answers. I didn't know we couldn't go on." At the start of each test, the proctor clearly says, "Do not move to the next test or work on a previous test." Some of these kids don't know up from down. They think they can get away with anything. It is very annoying

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that it's not just teenagers, Lori. My 2 boys are the same exact way. Come to think about it...my husband can be that way too...it's a guy thing no matter what the age! :) Gotta love 'em though!

Robyn J said...

Fun, fun, fun. At least the rest of the group were compliant. Hope all is well and that the interviews wrap up with a job!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't take the SAT's, I took the ACT's which is basically the same thing-- and I cheated on practically every portion. I'm willing to admit that now because I'm about to graduate from college soon. Here's what I did...

I'm far sighted (I can't see close up) so, when I pull my glasses away from my face everything magnifies. So, during the test I would act as if I had something in my eye every few minutes, pull my glasses away from my face, rub my eye, magnify the persons answer sheet ahead of me and memorize their bubbled in letters.

To my knowledge it's fool proof. My score was a 24, so I did pretty well.

Anyway, a tip for you-- watch out for people who have something in their eye the entire test *laughs*

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»