Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Back to school . . . .blah! :-(

It was an interesting Feb break.

Did all the Dr appts. Shoulder is feeling better. Meds and physical therapy is working. I still can't lift my arm or rotate the shoulder for the most part.

Harvard Mock Congress in Boston was interesting. We had a few issues with the three of the boys on the trip. They decided to blow off the first committee meeting. Little did they know that 1) my co-advisor and I were checking on them, and 2) The committee chairs were taking formal attendance. I sat in one of the committees and I heard two of the boys names being read out and of course, no boys anywhere! So, I call them on their cell phone and they didn't answer. I call their parents to let them know their sons are MIA (Missing in Action) and within five minutes I get a phone call from the boys telling me their cell phones were turned off. Gee - if their cell phones were turned off, how did their parents get a hold of them so quickly????? Yes, I left a message but one of the boys slipped and admitted they were "screening" their calls. Stupid kids. Another boy decided to smoke in their hotel bathroom and run the shower to try and cover the smoke. The room was a non-smoking room and they all signed an agreement that no smoking was allowed on the trip. Of course the fact they are only 16 and 17 years old means nothing. The girls were fine. Giggles and typical girly behavior. They were good about obeying the curfew at midnight which was good. It was the other students from other schools that tended to be a pain in the butt since their advisers were not watching them. I hate having to watch other kids when they are not my responsibility.

When I wasn't sitting in on meetings with the kids, I walked around the Prudential Center and Copley Place. The Sheraton is attached to these malls. EXPENSIVE!!!!! I ended up having to buy new shoes because my black dress shoes fell apart on me when I was walking around Harvard. I went to Aldo and bought a pair for $50! I tend to purchase really cheap shoes so the fact that I paid $50 for a pair of shoes was a huge deal for me.

I met teachers from all over the country at the conference. Some high schools from IL were there too - all suburb schools. Overall, it was a good and educational trip. Most of the kids got into their roles as congressmen(women) so it was a good experience. Only one of the kids wanted to take a tour of Harvard University on Friday so my co-advisor and I took him to the campus tour and we had a faculty luncheon on campus. Harvard Square and Cambridge is always a unique experience.

Came home on Sunday night exhausted. I need a break from my break! :-)

Hope everyone has a good week -

3 comments:

Robyn J said...

Gotta love traveling with students! When I was in Israel we had to send one of our students home. Fortunately, she had a family member in Jerusalem so I only needed to "babysit" her for 24 hours. We'll be at that Sheraton tomorrow night swimming in the pool and cruising around Boston. The boys love to stay in hotels!

Anonymous said...

You are always on an adventure with kids (literally), whether it's traveling or locally. Sounds like it was quite the treat ;). At least you were able to meet some great people.

Have a great weekend and don't work too hard at paws :)

Princess B said...

My mom had the same shoulder problem it sounds like--her moron doctor tried to tell her it was "all in her head!" She told him it was more painful than childbirth! Her PT was afraid to work on it it was so bad.

I guess even the worst student in Med School still becomes an MD...unless they fail out.