Monday, December 03, 2007

A rough commute this AM

The weather in New England can sometimes be a challenge this time of the year. Ever since I put my car into a ditch in NH about five years ago, I'm a big baby driving in snow/icky weather.

We had a nice storm (thanks to the Midwest) last night and today. My commute into school was a bit of a challenge. I live about 34 miles north of where I teach (I live near the NH border). Most schools in my area were either cancelled or a two hour delay. I would've enjoyed a cancellation since I really would like a day off and not be penalized for it but it wasn't in the cards for M-Dawg. :-(

The highway I take into work was horrible! At one point, it was dead stop traffic. I passed a few accidents along the way which didn't help the morning commute at all. The secondary roads were not great either.

I made it into school late. I teach a first block class so that was amusing. What can I do? A few of the schools in the same area as my school did do a two hour delay but not my school district. I sometime want to call up the Superintendent and say this: "Look buddy! A huge percentage of your faculty does not live in the city! So, how about accommodating us and giving us that two hour delay?" Oh. There were a ton of teachers out today anyway due to the weather. Nice.

How was your commute today??????

Oh, happy Monday! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there was school! Granted we get a lot more snow, but still!

I'm sorry you had to have such a icky commute today. I feel your pain. I stayed home because I was not going to travel in it...I'm a baby as well.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's commute either. I have to go in, but we (up where I live) may still get some snow showers and the roads will be slippery too!

Becareful driving tomorrow

Anonymous said...

yikes... that doesn't sound like fun at all... and its just the beginning of dec... long winter left... our area is calling for up to 5 inches of snow tonight... which will be the first for us... all we had so far was an ice storm on sat (which was NO FUN either)...

just remember to pack your car with necessities... water, second coat, extra "stuff" in case you need to stay at a friends... keep your cell charged... and take your time...