Friday, June 08, 2007

I have a little thief in my classroom

I'm very upset right now.

One of my students had her IPod stolen yesterday in my classroom. Now, let me first state that I don't allow IPods in my classroom. However, this student was digging out her project for me that she needed to turn in and she left her cell phone and IPod out on her desk (She keeps these items in her bag to be used before and after school). She walked over to my desk to staple her research paper. She went back to her desk and the IPod was gone. I wanted the police officer in our building to come down but he was in a meeting so my Freshman Housemaster came down into my classroom. He searched every student book bag and even searched the kids. Nothing. But, at least four students named a "potential" thief. The boy they all mentioned is on probation right now for stealing and having a gun (14 years old) - he was transferred from another school. This kid has quite the criminal record already. The Housemaster searched him twice. Found nothing. However, the Housemaster made the comment that it is possible for the boy to have the IPod down his crotch. Yes, you read it correctly. And, we can't search him "in that area" (for obvious reasons).

This girl is the sweetest thing. She is one of my hardest workers in class. She struggles with school but wants to do well in life. She gets good grades so that she can go to a good college. She is from the Dominican Republic and her father worked very hard to purchase this $250 IPod for her (Her father adores her - he really wants the best for her). She was absolutely devastated yesterday. And the ironic thing - in the morning, she found a cell phone and returned it to the housemaster because she's an honest kid. See where kindness and honesty gets ya???

Fast forward to today: The Math teacher on my team has one of our girls out in the hallway and she's crying. HER IPod was stolen out of outside pocket of her book bag. Guess what kid is in the class? So, the Math teacher asked me to go get the Housemaster. I got him and he searched all the kids again and nothing turned up.

What is up with these kids?

I told the Housemaster if this stealing thing with IPods happens again next week and that kid is in the room, I think they should call the police and have the police search the kid. I wouldn't screw around with the situation at that point. The kid has some serious issues.

The Housemaster did explain to BOTH girls that they shouldn't have the IPods in school. Unfortunately, it's a hard lesson to learn for both girls.

Before I dismissed my kids after the search, I told them how hard I had worked to create a safe environment in my classroom and that was completely blown today. A few of the other students came up to up afterwards and told me how violated they felt about the stealing. I have to admit that I feel violated too.

4 comments:

Lauren & Rich said...

Unbelievable! What the hell is wrong with that kid(s). You have your hands full with these kids. I feel bad you have to deal with this. It's hard enough to teach, let alone deal with this crap!

Anonymous said...

No wonder you are always stressed out and drained to the point that you feel like you're getting sick...what the heck is wrong with those kids? I am so sorry that you have to deal with this sort of drama!

Anonymous said...

This might sound terrible, but I probably would have kept everyone in the room the first time and called the police... that way they could do a true search - it had to be in there somewhere at that point...

I know its an expensive lesson... its just so sad to think that there are so many people that you can't trust out there... I imagine they won't bring anything to school anymore...

Anonymous said...

geez.. thats horrible. there's enough trouble in there & now this. those poor girls - especially the first one you mentioned. i almost want to start an ipod fund so she can have some $ to put towards a new one.

its sad but that kid is probably guilty. he definitly has a problem. i cant help but feel a little sorry for him though - is it his home life? is he looking for attention? or is he just a rotten egg?

i hope things get better