Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

This photo was taken in July 2005 at the American Cemetery in Normandy, France.
You can read about the history of Memorial Day here. It should be noted that the history goes back to at least the Civil War although there is some speculation that it goes back even further.
As a child growing up, I can remember every year on Memorial Day, my grandparents (on my Mom's side) and my family would go to the cemetery and place flowers on the graves of loved ones. And, the local cemetery would have a Memorial Day parade go right through the cemetery. The cemetery had all the American flags of vets that had died hanging on flag poles that lined the parade route. Once my grandpa died, his flag would be flown along the route as well. My grandfather fought in World War II (Battle of the Bulge).
Even back then, I remember feeling thankful and appreciative of what our veterans did to sacrifice MY freedom today. This also may be another reason why I enjoy History so much - that I would not be here today if not for the sacrifice of my relatives during the Civil War, World War I, and World War II.
At 3:00 pm today, please remember to do a moment of silence. You can read more about it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice photo... Thank a Veteran on Memorial Day... and other days too...

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I'm planning to go visit the American Cemetery some day in the not-too-distant future...